Filling The Void | Chapter Twenty -Nine | Burning Buildings

After I agreed to stay with the Nicolsons Ryder took me home, vowing dramatically that he'd buy me whatever I wanted from taco bell.

I, of course, took that offer up immediately and as we made our way to his house we passed by mine...or the lack thereof.

It didn't look like much could be left, but Ryder said that somethings could have been saved but not called for. After getting food he offered to go with me and look, I nodded and told him that someone would have to do it.

It was a horrible feeling seeing my home like that, all black and charred...but the thing that hurt the most was seeing my favorite room off all flat as a pancake.

"This is where the reading room was."

Ryder sighs and shoves his hands in his jean pockets, "The Florida room? Isn't that-"

"My mother's favorite room."

Silence falls between us, and the memories that lay beneath our feet.

Instead of endless plush cushions and a beautiful breeze, all we got was the standstill air of a cold foggy Californian day and charred ashes.

To my surprise when I looked at all of this I didn't feel anything. Sure a house is just an object, but the memories...all the memories.

They were made in these walls that now lay on their sides disconnected from the others. There was nothing left for me here.

Almost as if he had read my mind Ryders hand found mine, "Maybe this is a good thing, maybe they needed to be set free."

I smile softly as I look at the ocean view beyond, "Yeah, maybe."

After a couple minutes of silence Ryder clears his throat, squeezing my hand, "Hey, I know something that'll cheer you up."

I raise an eyebrow and smile up at him, "What?"

He smirks down at me, winking before gesturing with his head to follow him, "It's a surprise."

"Everything's a surprise with you, Ryder." I groan sarcastically.

"Only for you sunshine."

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

"My Uncles mechanic shop?"

Ryder chuckles and closes my door behind me before we make our way inside.

The minute I see him my heart lights up and I find myself running up to him and wrapping my arms around him.

"Uncle Carl!"

He laughs and has to peel himself off of me, "Hey Kiddo." His gaze drifts behind me and a knowing smile spread across his face as Ryder and him share a look.

"What's going on?" I ask, feeling left out as they share a secret I'm not queued in on.

Carl nods before setting down the stack of paper onto his desk and waving me into the shop.

For a second, as I walk down the hallway that leads out to the huge garage I remember when my dad took me here to get my first car and it was then that I realized why I was here.

Before I could ask Ryder where it was and what the damage was he pushed me out into the garage and it didn't take long before my eyes locked onto my baby.

"Oh my god."

As I ran over to it I took in its mint condition, "Who did this? It looks better than it did before!"

I smile as I brush my fingers along the bright white interior and look down at the tire rims.

"Ryder here took it in a couple of days ago, told me that there was a fire and that if I didn't fix it he was gonna sue me."