Filling The Void | Chapter Ten | My Brain and heart are Separate

A S P E N

My heart was beating at a normal pace, the shock from what Ryder had said this morning long gone as I mindlessly watch the teacher go on and on about the great depression.

All I had was questions that I wasn't sure I was going to get the answers to. It was a waste of energy to focus on them.

When the teacher finally stopped speaking, the bell ringing to signal lunch, I shoved my books in my backpack and swung it over my shoulder, heading down the hall toward my locker.

However, I didn't expect to see a pair of green eyes standing right outside my class.

"Oh-Sebastian?" I ask, suddenly realizing how cute he was in proper lighting.

He had a golden boy look to him, the blond hair and unique colored eyes pairing well with his blue school spirit hoodie and jeans.

He nods his head, "Yeah, I was actually gonna ask if you wanted to get lunch?"

I take in his slightly nervous foot tap and bit lip and chuckle, "I'm getting it right now."

When his expression changes to confusion and defeat I laugh lightly, "I'm kidding."

After a few moments of probably replying the interaction in his head, he tips his head back, "Right! Kidding!"

Watching him blush, his hand awkwardly scratching the back of his neck I realize that he must actually like me.

Without my permission, my brain wonders what Ryder would think. They hadn't had a great interaction at the party. As I watch Sebastian's eyes morph brown I realize what I'm doing. I shake off Ryder and focus on him.

"Yes." I say, watching his eyes pop back up to mine, "I'd love to get lunch with you, just name the place and I'm there."

He lets out a breathy laugh of relief, "Great, here." Pulling out a pen from his front backpack pocket he gestures to my hand.

Knowing what he's wanting I open my palm, his warm hand grabbing my wrist as he pulls me closer.

He smells like cinnamon and mint gum and I find myself only focused on that as the black ink seeps into my skin.

When he's done writing he lest go of my hand, "Just text me when you're free."

I smile at the number, his handwriting imprinting itself in my mind as I stare down at it.

When I look back up at him he's got his casual smirk placed on his face. Before I can say something the warning bell rings for the classes who don't have first lunch.

"I better go." He laughs, "See you later."

Nodding I smile and watch him brush past me, the spice smell lingering as I spin around.

"See you."

The blue locker door swings open and I reach in for my science book as I do I see Kaitlyn join me out of my peripheral, her face unreadable.

I turn to face her, "Hey, how are you holding up? Still mad?"

"Mad?" She spits, sarcasm dripping from her tone, "Mad? Why would I be mad?"

I watch as her nostrils flare. Yep, she was still mad.

"One two three Kait, one two three."

The whole incident with Ryder had gone down hours ago, so the fact that she was still angry about it confused me. That was when it dawned on me that I didn't know the whole story.

She nods and sucks in sharp breaths, her face looking as though she's holding something in that she'd rather spit out.

She's trying my counting method and once she's calm she opens her eyes, suddenly looking more guilty than anything. Sad even.

"I can't believe I had to slap my own brother today."

"You slapped Ryder?"

Nodding her lip quivers, "I shouldn't have I know, he was just...he's bringing her back."

The same questions that had swirled through my mind this afternoon resurface. "What went down between you three this summer?"

For a moment she looks like she's about to tell me, the slight pause and hope for someone else to understand, filling her eyes. Then she waves me off, "Don't worry about it."

A couple of seconds go by as I try to be okay with her keeping something this important from me. Then, loud wedges click down the hallway and when they stop behind us my heart drops.

Kaitlyn tenses beside me and I step closer to her, blocking her from pouncing like a crazy person.

The best thing to do would be to act civil. So that's what we were going to do. I gave her a look that said 'Breathe' before turning to face the one and only...

"Hey Natalee!" I say awkwardly, accentuating the e's as I send her the same fake smile Kaitlyn had used earlier.

Natalee cocks her head and scans Kaitlyn up and down, "Awe, did somebody wake up on the wrong side of the bed?"

Natalee pouts her bottom lip and as she does Kaitlyn's fist tightens, "You have the rest of your life to be a jerk, why not take today off?"

Sensing the sudden increase in tension I pull back my best friend, unable to hold back my small snicker at Kaitlyn's response.

Natalee must have noticed because her gaze drifted to mine, the corner of her mouth lifting.

"Hm, you think that's funny? Well, let me tell you something truly funny."

I watch her as she makes her way closer to my face, her eyes are ice cold with blue and for a second they remind me of mine - except, mine were less sinister.

"Ryder's mine." She starts, "Has been and always will, he'll always come back to me. So I suggest you scram because there's no reason that he'd want a little small town girl like you."

At her words, I find the truth in them, and then I wonder why she'd even be threatened by me.

"Small town?!" Kaitlyn scoffs, defending me as she pushes Natalee back with her elbow, "Your one to talk, Ms. Georgia."

"Oh Kait, you never were one for geography but I explained to you several times that I'm originally from New York and-"

"I don't have time for this." Kaitlyn grunts as she grabs my arm and twirls me around.

I follow her down the hall and as we round the corner I look up at the bright lights, hoping that they'll fry away some of the hurt she'd caused me.

When we stop Kaitlyn turns to me, her face falling at the sight of my shed tear, "Babe, don't cry, don't you even for a second let her do that to you."

I sniffle and shake my head, blinking rapidly as I wipe the tears away, "I'm sorry, I-I don't know why I'm-"

"She got to you." She says softly, "It's what she does."

I nod and look up at her. How would she know? How would she truly know what kind of person Natalee was if her summer in Georgia was 'nothing to worry about'?

Kaitlyn was keeping something from me and somehow I'd get her to tell me whatever it was.

"Think you can handle lunch?" she asks, bringing me back to the conversation, the hallways that had emptied out into the cafeteria.

She raises her brows at me and I give her my best smile. "Yes. I can handle lunch."

Our first little taste of drama. It was a big one though, what'd you think?

Leave a comment!