Filling The Void | Chapter Six | Your Turn Asp

R Y D E R

"Babe, what's going on?"

Groaning I shrug Natalee and her long hair off of me, scanning the room for Sebastian.

It was just like Natalee to purposefully scare of Aspen, it was her way of staking claim - marking me like some dog peeing on a fire hydrant.

She'd left and I had no idea where to. All I knew was that Sebastian was gone too and wherever he went it was to get into trouble. 

I don't exactly know why he bothers me, but him acting like he had no clue what I could do to him was annoying. I had everything against him and he had his fair share. Our relationship was dangerous. I fone of us talked, the other talked more. 

I knew why he thought it was smart though. He knew it'd get him on Aspens good side  a way into her life. Not having drama with her friends meant he was a potential friend and that meant she'd converse. 

I knew her. She'd become invested the more she told him about herself, her life and the people in it. She'd always been in her head like that. He'd have her easy. 

I suppose, in reality, he's really not that bad of a dude. We used to be friends once upon a time, it's just the way he is I guess. He's cocky and a know it all, not to mention his parents are loaded. Yes, he may have his own life and his own problems but a while back I had been a part of those.

I was the guy that he came to when things got bad at home. I was the guy who helped him stay distracted while his family healed.

"You know, you shouldn't be sticking up for her." Natalie whines, sauntering close beside me as I search the living room.

I arc a brow at her, wondering why she's still here. I'd told her to leave me alone hours ago, even at school.

"And why is that?"

She laughs, "Because she's a boyfriend stealer. She's clearly into you."

I clench my jaw for what feels like the millionth time in the last five minutes before shaking her off my arm.

This girl has been hooking herself to my arm all day and I'm about to explode form discomfort. Thinking back on it, I should have just grabbed my sister and Aspen at lunch, leaving Natalee out in the cold. 

But I didn't and now we have a problem.

"You're wrong Natalee," I say, pulling my arm away from her,  "She's not even interested in me."

She rolls her eyes, crossing her arms, "Seriously? You can't be that dumb, can you? She's into you!"

Her voice is loud now, and if the music had been a notch lower we'd be the center of attention.

Shaking my head in disbelief I scoff, "I have to find her okay? She's my little sister's friend."

Natalee grumbles, "Lucky her." 

Her fists ball up as I spin around and head for the backyard.

It's cold outside now that the suns down, so as my eyes search the poolside. My head feels hot, making me realize how angry I am. Had I overreacted? She was just talking to him.

I snap out of it and shake my head. Talking is bad, especially with Sebastian. 

Kaitlyn would surely see the downside to this, she'd side with me. Not that there were sides if anything I would agree with Aspen.

I release a held in breath and stop walking, slowing as I linger by the back door.

Why am I so fixed on making sure she's not mad at me? I've never wanted her angry with me. Even when we were little and I had eaten her ice cream along with mine, I bought her more. I was nine and I bought her more because I didn't want her to hate me.

As my feet carry me back inside and down the basement steps I hear her voice. Relief rushes through me and I speed up my pace.