Filling The Void | Chapter Thirty | Oh..So We're Flirting Now?

It was just like any other sleepover at Kaitlyn's house, so I didn't know why I was so nervous. Though, it probably had something to do with the boy who kept purposely raking his eyes over my body just to make me uncomfortable.

"Stop it, Ryder." I chuckle, unbuckling my seatbelt and hopping out onto the driveway.

I hear his laugh from the other side of the car and soon it's clear as he rounds around to my side, "You may not like it, buts its a fabulous pass time for me."

I scoff and roll my eyes, "You're a perv."

He laughs and as I make my way to the front door I jump when his hands grip my waist and he swings me over his shoulder.

"Ryder!" I squeal, craning my neck to find an amused look on his face. "Ryder put me down right now or I swear to god I'll ruin you!"

"Ruin me huh? Call me crazy but I think I actually want that."

I groan and hit him on his back with my fist, "You-You're messing up my hair you know."

He chuckles, "Babe, I know you're worried about your image, but when one looks as flawless as you do, I don't think they should mind."

His compliments make my cheeks burn and eventually he puts me down on the front steps, the cringe had overloaded so much that I had to tug on my shirt to keep from giving in.

It was so easy to do with him.

After fixing my shirt and flicking my hair back I look up at him.

"So do I get a kiss then?" He teases, puckering his lips.

I scrunch up my noes and punch him in the shoulder, "Not after that stunt you pulled."

As I pull back my wrist he grabs it to pull me closer, "Fine, but just so you know ever since I kissed you this morning all I want to do anytime I see you is-"

"I get it." I say red flushing my cheeks.

He chuckles and lets go of my wrist, placing a kiss on my forehead, "Good, just remember that."

"Oh for sure."

He winks at me and just when I drop my hand to my side the front door opens, making me spin around on my heel.

"Aspen! I'm so glad you made it! Come, follow me."

My eyes go wide as Mrs.Nicolson pulls me into the warm air and we travel deeper into the house.

I smile softly, "Thanks for letting me stay here Mrs.Nicolson."

The shock on her face as she leads me the way we came appears quickly and is soon replace by a smile, "Please, call me Karen."

I'd been calling her that for years but for some reason it felt right to use her last name in this situation.

"Thanks, Karen."

As we walk up the stairs Ryder's presence never falters and when we reach the door across from his she opens it and gestures inside.

"Our best room, en-suite bathroom, and walk-in closet included. Settle in."

After making my way to the bed, I practically bust out laughing, no scratch that...I did.

"What's so funny?" She asks, a tiny smirk lingering on her face.

I took gasps as I tried to stop laughing, "It's just that, you said settle in...but I literally have nothing."

My laughter continued but all that passed on their faces was pity and uncertainty.

As I watched their faces grow concerned I forced myself to calm down, and once I was I looked awkwardly around the room, "Seemed funnier in my head."

Karen's click of her heels comes across the marble floor and when she makes it to the foot of the bed her arms wrap around me, "Oh honey it's okay, I'm sorry. How about you and Kaitlyn go to the mall later? She'll be back at around four after her leadership workshop but for now, you'll be on your own. I have a meeting I have to get to."

"On a Saturday?" Ryder asked, annoyance lacing his tone.

Karen sighs, "Yeah, sorry bud. Maybe Josh can come over?"

He nodded, but when his eyes met mine a soft smile appears, "I'll call him."

"Great. I'll see you two later."

I guess the meeting was pretty important considering her business-women-like outfit and the way she made her way out of the house - because she was gone in less than a millisecond.

"So, you like it?" Ryder asks once the house is filled with silence.

I scoff, "You act like I haven't played in this room with Kaitlyn since we were little. It's one of my favorite rooms."

As I look around the bedroom I notice the bay-window that sat hanging over their backyard and the fluffy white pillows that seemed to always be stacked in a pile of endless comfort.

The little girl inside of me couldn't wait to play princess, but the old, tired, lazy teen just wanted to go to sleep.

"Yeah, well you know your way around here pretty well."

I nod as he makes his way into the room and continues, "I don't know what my life would be like without the Waters."

A smile tugs at my lips and I run my finger along the top of the dresser.

"Without Aspen Waters." He clarifies in a hushed voice that said he was speaking more to himself than me.

I twist my mouth, "I don't know what my life would be like without Ryder Nicholson."

He was facing the window now but I could still make out the smile growing on his face in the reflection of it.

Then as if he could sense me staring at him his eyes meet mine in the window and I smile instead of turning away.

I'm not afraid to say how I feel anymore because that's just what it is. How I feel, and I can't change that.

I was telling the truth when I said I don't know what my life would be like...I don't.

Because I love Ryder Nicolson and what's life without love.

"Ryder-"

"Aspen-"

Silence passes before both of us laugh at the same time and he spins around to face me, the smile never faltering on his face.

"Aspen you should know that what I said at the hospital..." He looks down at the floor and then back up at me, "I meant it."

I swallow and bite the inside of my cheek, "And you should know..."I say, trailing my hand behind me on the bed as I walk over to him, "That I wish I had said it back."

The corner of his mouth lifts, "And what was that you wanted to say?"

I smile and stop when I'm a mere two inches away from him, "That I'm..."

I stop, my smirk growing as he looks into my eyes.

"Thankful that you saved my car!"

His eyes widen in surprise and sensing a tickle monster attack, I start running out of the room, making my way down the hall.

It's not that I got nervous...I've just never said that before and if I'm going to say it, it's not going to be two days after my house burns down.

ARE SHIP IS SAILING AND IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE IT'S EVER GOING BACK DOWN :))