"You're Not Alone"

"Why do you want to help so badly?" I asked once Carlos and I finally took our seats in the living room.

"Two years ago," Nate started, a slight frown on his lips, "there was a lady who also helped my son. She refused to come with me to protect her, so I allowed her to stay home with some guards. Those people who are after you now...killed the lady and the guards." He finished, not wanting to go into much detail. "I swore I wouldn't make the same mistake."

I stared at Nate, seeing all the guilt and hurt in his eyes.

He loved her.

"I'm sorry for your loss." I muttered and Nate met my eyes. He seems to know that I know he loved her.

"Unlike that lady, we know how to protect ourselves." Carlos said, rolling his eyes. I nudged him.

"How long do we have to stay here?" I asked and Carlos gave me a look.

"Until I'm sure they've stopped trying to get to the both of you." Nate sighed. "Any of you have families?"

"No." I replied and Carlos didn't say anything. Out of the both of us, Carlos is the most stubborn. "Carlos has a sister who lives in another country."

"She should be safe as long as she doesn't come around." Nate said and stood up.

"Wait." I stopped Nate from walking away. "I can assure you that Carlos and I will be completely fine staying at our house."

"I'm not making that mistake again. Would you do everything you can to save someone who helped someone so important to you?" Nate raised an eyebrow. "What if you were me and someone helped out your friend there from dying?" He nodded towards Carlos. "And now that person is in danger. Would you help or let them die?" He asked.

Nate left me speechless. He stared at me for a while longer before walking away. A maid brought George to the living room.

"Let's just stay here for a little while." I said, turning to Carlos. "If they wanted us hurt or dead, it'd be done by now."

"I don't care, Vivian. Personas como ellos pueden cambiar rápidamente." Carlos mumbled, giving me a look. (People like them can switch up fast)

"La gente como nosotros no rompe nuestras palabras." A man behind us said. We turned back to see three men. "The name's Aiden." (People like us don't break our words)

"I'm Virgil." Another man beside him said. They all look so damn handsome and I'm afraid I won't be able to keep my hands to myself.

"Logan." The third guy said. Carlos and I didn't say anything for a while.

There's more of them? I thought it was only Nate and some of the guards he has.

"Do you two have names? Why the fuck are you guys here?" Virgil asked, almost glaring at us.

"Why don't you ask your dumb boss." Carlos grumbled, obviously not liking any of the guys here.

"They'll be staying here with us." Nate said, coming out of a room with his phone to his ear.

"Nate-"

"We'll talk about this later." He held a hand up to the three men and walked away, speaking on the phone.

***********************************

I'm guessing Nate talked to Virgil, Aiden, and Logan about why Carlos and I are here. They're sitting in the living room and staring at Carlos and I.

"So...how long have you all known each other for?" I asked, trying to start up a conversation.

Neither of the three men said anything, making me sigh.

"Vivian." I looked up as Nate came towards us. "I'd like to speak to you." He said.

"No-"

"I'll be fine." I gave Carlos's hand a light squeeze and stood up, walking towards Nate.

Nate placed a hand on my lower back, making chills run up my spine as he led me to his office with him.

There's a bookcase in the left corner of the room and a desk in front of the window in the room. A huge window is behind the desk, showing a view of the city. Nate must love huge windows. There are two chairs in front of the desk and two couches on either sides of the room. A chandelier is hanging down in the middle of the room, lighting the room up and making it look even better.

"Have a seat." Nate said and I walked over to one of the chairs. He sat on his seat and handed me a file. "This will explain what you'll have to do tomorrow."

"What for?" I asked, opening up the file. "I told you that I don't want the job anymore."

"It's best you work for me than anyone else. You're in great danger." Nate replied, folding his hands. "You'll have your own office and you can take care of George and do little work."

"I'm not some babysitter." I muttered and Nate stood up, standing in front of me now. He leaned back on the desk, his hands gripping the edges and making the veins on his hands pop out.

"I'll pay you as much as you'd like." Nate said and I looked up, meeting his eyes.

We both stayed silent, staring into each other's eyes. His blue eyes almost look green in the light.

"I don't want to be paid. What has to be done in order for my life to go back to normal?" I asked and Nate leaned back a bit, crossing his arms.

"Do you really want to know?" He questioned and raised an eyebrow as I looked away from him, his stare making me feel nervous.

But do I want to know?

"How long will Carlos and I be here for?" I asked, standing up. Nate must've understood that I don't want to know since I changed the topic.

"When I'm sure you two aren't in danger." Nate met my eyes and he stood up straight.

My eyes trailed down to his veiny hands, watching as he unbuttoned his suit jacket. He put his hand under my chin and made me look up at him.

"You loved her." I whispered the words and Nate finally looked away from me. "Why didn't you force her to stay with you?"

"I couldn't. She....we had a bad past." Nate replied and shook his head, his jaw clenched. His hands are in tight fists.

"Hey." I said softly, putting a hand on his cheek and making him look at me. "What happened wasn't your fault."

"It was. If I had put more effort in keeping her safe, she's still be here." He said and met my eyes, fire burning in them.

He's angry and disappointed in himself.

"My older brother died in a car accident when I was twelve. I kept begging him to pick me up from an after school program and it was raining hard that night. His car......it didn't end well." I mumbled, looking away. "And I blamed myself for so long. I still do, but some things you can't change. And blaming yourself won't bring them back, it'll only make you feel worse."

"Why are you telling me this?" Nate asked as I put my hand down.

I see Nate as a friend. He's a chill person, but can be scary at times.

"So you know you're not alone." I slightly shrugged. "I'll look into this." I said and took the file before walking out.

~~~~~~~~
Hope you enjoyed!

Don't forget to comment and/or vote! Thank you for reading❤️

Until then✌🏼