Chapter 3

Imani

I couldn't sleep last night. I woke up early to pack my things. As I am packing there is a knock on my door. 

"Hey, it's me" I hear Zoe's voice through the door. I walk toward the door and let her in. 

"Um...I wanted to say for what's worth I had no idea either. And just like you. I have no idea about my family either." She says. I turn to face her in shock. 

"You too?" I said confused. 

"I guess our mothers were two peas in the pod," I said with a sigh. Zoe lets out a nervous laugh. 

"Yeah, but I must say it's really amazing that you would travel this far just to get some answers. I would have never thought of doing that." She says and takes a seat on the bed. 

"Have you ever asked your mom why do you guys live out here away from the city?" I asked. 

"I did once but she told me she doesn't like the city and it's better for people like us to live near nature. "

"Like us?" I said confused. I was about to ask what she means but then changed the subject. 

Zoe gets off the bed "So before you go. I wanted to know if you would be down in going site seeing with me? and who knows maybe you can find clues about your mother or dad?" She asked. I thought about it for a moment and realize she is right. Before I go this could be a perfect opportunity for me. 

"Alright, I am down," I answered. 

"Cool, let me go get ready I'll meet you downstairs." She says with a smile and leaves. 

I got dressed in olive green pants with a white shirt and brown boots. I braided my hair with two cornrows doing down and put on a brown hat. I go out to meet Zoe downstairs. I meet Neema in the living room. 

"Look Imani for what it's worth you are always welcome here and you can stay always long as you need to. This is your home too." She tells me. 

"Thanks," I said. As of right now, I don't trust Neema. And I am going to do my best to get some answers out of her. 

Luckily Zoe knows how to drive so we took her mom's car to head out to the city. It takes about an hour to get to the city. So I took that time to ask Zoe a few questions.

"So does your mom hide information about your dad too?" I asked. 

"Oh no, I knew my father. We used to live in the city when I was young, but then we got attacked and he died while trying to protect us. And I think because of that my mom decided to leave the city." She answers.