Chapter 5

Imani

I woke and felt pain in my stomach. I groaned in pain and looked around to realize there is a breathing mask on my face. 

Okay, stay calm.

Memories of what happened start to slowly come back to me.  

Oh, no Zoe.

I tried to get up but I couldn't because of the pain in my stomach. I look around to see I am in a hospital. Hopeful the could mean Zoe is somewhere here too. 

The door opens and a nurse walks in. She gaps when she sees me awake. 

"Oh, thank God." She said coming to check on me. 

"It looks like your heartbeat is doing well so you can breathe properly without this." She says taking off my mask. 

"Take slow breaths." She says. And I follow her instructions. Once I catch my breath I lick my lips and start to speak "Where is--Zoe" I said. I could barely speak because my mouth is so dry. 

"Who?" She says confused as she checks my vials. 

"Z--oe" I said trying to get a word out. 

"Ok, hold on. I'll bring you something to eat and drink. And the doctor will be here shortly." She says and leaves my room.  I let out a sigh. I can't believe this happened to me. I never thought I would in the middle of a mass shooting.  Why did they attack that club? from Zoe and I understanding it was a cool chilled club with a great view. I didn't see anything bad about the club.

A few minutes later the doctor came to check on me and they brought me food. 

"You are very lucky," The doctor said.

"Yeah," I said with a sigh. "How long was I out?" I asked. 

"Three days." He answers. 

"Three days?" I said in shock. "Wh--what happened to everyone? where is Zoe?" I asked. I can't believe I was out for three days Neema is going to kill me.

"Zoe?" He asked confused. 

"Yes," I have him a description of her.

"Oh, Yes. She is fine she didn't have many injuries." He says. 

"Well...where is she?" I asked. 

"Oh, she was discharged a couple of days ago." He answers. I look at him confused. She left a few days ago. Did she even come to visit me? and what about Neema?

"Can I go?" I ask. 

"Um...No not until the alpha shows up." He says. I look at him confused.