Chapter 17

Imani

Today I am going to meet up with Eric as we promised last week. Ben and Oliva already went out for the day and it's just Zoe, Neema, and me at home. Benjy went to school today. These past couple of days Benjy continued to be rude towards me and Zoe. He knows better than to act the same way towards Neema. 

I got dressed in ripped blue jeans with white sneakers and a warriors jersey shirt. I put my hair up in the bun and wore light makeup and brought a small fanny pack bag. 

"Where are you going?" Zoe asked me when I came out of the bathroom. 

"I'm going to see Eric," I said grabbing my phone and key to the house. 

"You mean the same guy who was supposed to help you escape?" She asked. 

"Yeah," I said awkwardly. 

"Well, then I got to come." She said turning around and quickly running into her room. 

"What do you mean?" I asked confused. 

"I need to meet the person would willing to risk everything for." She says coming out of her room wearing black shorts, a white tank top, and a dark blue kimono that has a picture of a Koi fish all over it. I let out a sigh and agree for her to come along. I wouldn't mind if Eric met at least one of my family members. Although I can't tell him what I am I still want to be able to hang out with him and invite him over.

We told Neema were going out and she let Zoe have the keys to her car. We are driving to meet Eric at a restaurant he picked out for us to meet. At first, he was going to drive me, but since Zoe is coming with us I told him I'll meet him there. 

"So how has it been living here with us?" I asked as were driving. 

"It's fine it's a lot crowded than back at the cabin. But it's a little wired I guess. I think once we start meeting more people than it would start to feel more wired. I feel like a stranger in someone else's house."

"Welcome to the club," I said. "I agree with you. I feel the same way too. And it doesn't help when you have an annoying bother who reminds you that your different and wanted."

"Oh, You're talking about Benjy, right? I don't pay any mind to him or his mama." Zoe says. 

"I don't care about Oliva either. In fact, she makes me feel more awkward living here than Benjy does. It's just I came here to learn more about my family and find my father. And I feel like I haven't done anything.  Ben is always working and  Benjy keeps to himself. It's like what is the point in all of this?" I said. 

"I think in time we will know. Because if you look at it no one knows what they are doing. Not even my mom. She came here because she wants to fix the relationship with her brother and also finally introduce me to my family and have me make friends. But no one is taking the first step." Said Zoe.