Chapter 29

Imani

After graduation, Eric took me out of dinner at a southern restaurant. I haven't seen him since we came up to me at the sushi restaurant. It's been a couple of weeks so I don't know what to say to him. 

"Congrats by the way," I said.

"Thanks," He said smiling. 

"So when do you officially start?" I asked. 

"I don't know yet but what I do know I will be joining your father's team." He answered. 

"Really?" I said in shock. I know my dad doesn't like Eric so I am surprised that he would let Eric work with him.

"Yes, I am surprised too." Eric said. "Maybe he is starting to warm up to me." He said. I don't respond and eat my food. We continue our dinner with small talk and awkward silence. After dinner, Eric said he wanted to take me somewhere. I don't feel safe being out with him so late giving the hunter attacks are on the rise. 

"Don't worry Imani. I will protect you. I promise nothing will happen. I just want to show you something please." He begged. I let out a sigh and followed Eric. 

Eric took me to an open field. The moon isn't out tonight so it's very dark outside. As we kept walking on the grass a tiny firefly pops out from the grass and soon we are surrounded by fireflies. 

"Wow," I said looking around me. "This beautiful"

"And if you look far enough you can see the mountains," Eric said pointing. One of the mountains I could see is the mountain was our pack goes up to pray and be alone with there wolf. 

"This is a nice spot," I said smiling. 

"This is the first time since I came here you have smiled at me." Eric says smiling back at me. Hearing him say that kind of hurt my feelings.

"No don't do that." He said looking away. "I know it's been hard for you Imani. That's why I haven't asked you anything. I know you are trying your best." He said with a sigh. "I am happy that you have found your family and even made some new friends. I just hope you don't---" I walked up to Eric and hugged him from behind. No one knows me best than Eric. We have been through everything together. He was there for me when my mother was sick and when she died. He has always had my back. Hearing him talk about how I changed made me feel like I was a horrible friend. 

Although he lied about his wolf I can't stay mad because my mother did the same thing. Honestly besides that Eric hasn't done anything to hurt me. I don't know when or why I didn't have doughts about him and our friendship.