Chapter 36

Imani

"Stay away from her!" 

"Imani run!"

 I am watching a memory I don't remember. But for some reason, my body remembers. I am in the kitchen with my mom and she is shielding my body. I can't see who my mother is yelling at. 

"How could you do this to this? We showed you nothing but compassion and kindness." My mother says. 

"You think I care? I was given a mission and I plan to see it through" The person who responded to my mother was a man's voice. 

"Yo--you know they are using you? how can you go against your own kind?" My mother says.

I can hear the man laugh. "I belong to no one." He says in a low voice.

"Ple--Please just take me. And leave my daughter out of this. She doesn't know anything. Nor does she have a wolf." My mother begs. I want to see the person she is speaking to but I can't.

I hear a growl and the next moment a see a wolf come and attack my mom. I scream in horror as I see my mother's body bleed out and become lifeless. 

"Imani---I'm so sorry," My mother says as she slowly dies on the kitchen floor in a pool of her own blood. 

"Mo--mo--mom," I say in shock. My body is shaking and I slowly crawl towards her lifeless body. 

I wake up screaming.

"Imani!" I look over to see Zoe sitting next to me. "Thank Mawu" She says letting out a sigh. I am breathing heavily. I look around to see I am in a hospital. Slowly events of what happened flash into my mind.

I touch my chest to take slow deep breaths. I look over at Zoe who is smiling at me. 

"Hey," I said greeting her. 

"Girl I am so happy you work up. I was so scared." She says and wraps her arms around me. I hug her back.

"Me too, Me too" I said patting her back. Zoe slowly pulls away and takes a seat next to me on the bed. She wipes her tears. 

"How long has it been?" I asked. Zoe picks up a glass of water that was on the table next to the bed and hands it to me.

"A week." She answers. "The ball is in two days."

"What!" I yelled almost spitting out the water. 

"Yes, you were poisoned. We had to wait until your wolf spirit healded you." She says.