Chapter 16

Imani

I was so nervous about meeting my grandparents. I was worried if they would like me or even accept me. I wasn't sure if they would judge my mother and me and about the choice she made. I really wanted them to like so I ended up being overly dressed for dinner. Everyone was dressed casually while I was dressed in formal wear. I felt too awkward and embarrassed when we pulled up to their ranch.  I wanted to change so badly but it was too late.

When I met my grandparents I could see where I got my looks from. I have my father and grandfather's nose. It amazes me how much we look like one another. My grandmother was so happy and welcoming. She wanted to know everything about me and asked me so many questions about my childhood. Although I wanted to ask them questions about their life and my father's childhood it was nice she cared so much about me. 

Benjy didn't say much during the dinner and I could tell he was jealous that all their attention was going to me. There were photos all around the house of Ben and Neema from their childhood. Things I never saw from my mom. After dinner grandmother told me I could come back to visit anytime and grandfather told me he would show me to ride horses the next time I come to visit. 

A few days later I went shopping with Ben and he let me get whatever I wanted no matter how expensive it may be. I wasn't used to this type of treatment. When shopping with him I wanted his feedback. I wanted him to get upset about an outfit being too inappropriate or ugly. I wanted to push his buttons. But it seemed he didn't care and he didn't want to be here with me. When I would go out with my mom she was very talkative and loved to start conversations she gave me her opinion about everything even on things I didn't ask about. My mom loved sharing her thoughts with others.  But with Ben, I picked up that he doesn't like to talk nor be around large crowds of people. I felt bad for guilt-tripping him into coming shopping with me. But how else was I going to spend time with him?

He is barely at home and he is always at work or doing pack stuff. I don't even get to see him as much. And my purpose for coming here was to meet him and get to know him. When I bought those matching shirts I did it because I wanted to show him that I am putting in an effort. I am happy that he was willing to wear a shirt with me and take photos with me. I was glad to be able to take photos with him since I never knew if he existed or not. So having a photo with me and my dad is the best feeling in the world. I just wish my mom could have been part of it too. 

During our shopping spree, I found out there are paranormal beings like mermaids, vampires, trolls, and witches. I can't believe there is this whole other world and it was all right in front of me. I still can't get over the fact that I can turn into a wolf.  I don't understand why my mother left this world behind.