Chapter 27

Imani

Today I am hanging out with Benjy. He is on summer break now so he has been home more often. I still can't drive yet, but I decided to out for lunch with Benjy to catch up. I haven't had a chance to talk to him since the party because dad and I have been so busy training. We went out for tacos. 

"How is training?" He asked. 

"Um...It's going okay I guess." I said not really wanting to talk about it. I haven't been doing my best compared to Zoe. I am still behind. 

"Is dad being hard on you?" Benjy asked.

I shook my head "No" I said. "The training is fine. It's just trying to find the balance with my wolf." I said. "Like I am still not used to having another soul. Trying to be one with myself is hard enough and now my wolf spirit. I don't  get it." I said. Being a wolf is a lot more spiritual than I thought. It doesn't take much to shift but to stay in your wolf form and to be able to fight in form and in your human takes a lot of mental work. I have been talking to my wolf when I can. But it's been hard on me in trying to let her take control of me. 

"I get what you mean. I feel the same way and I was born as a wolf. Although it is taking me a while to shift I do sometimes feel my wolf." Benjy said "And from what I learn from my friends is that you can force the connection. We are part animal. We are not fully humans. And to go into your wolf form means you are giving complete control to your wolf side. You are truly going beast. And in my opinion, I don't think you fully want to let go of your human side." He said. 

I let out a sigh and take in everything he said. Benjy is right. I am not fully committed to letting go of my human side. I am actually scared to let my wolf side take control. I don't fully understand my wolf's side because my wolf is the opposite of me. She is strong and brave in ways that are different than mine. I like to think things out and watch while my wolf is all about action. 

"Are you scared?" Benjy asked looking at me.

"A little bit" I said honestly. "My whole life I thought something was missing in me. And at first, I thought it was my father and not knowing where I come from. But now I realize it wasn't something I was missing it was something I had and needed to find within myself. If that makes any sense." I said. "There has been something inside that has always been there that I never knew about. And now I awaken to this new power I--I don't know what to do with it. I don't even know what it's capable is. Will, it hurt me? will I hurt others? What if I lose myself?" I said telling him my worries. 

"Wow, I didn't know you had all these thoughts. Have you told my--I mean have you told dad?"Benjy asks. 

"No, I didn't. Dad has been working very hard in trying to teach me everything about the life of the pack and about my wolf. And I feel there is only so much he can do. This is something I have to overcome on my own. There is only so much the history book can teach you." I said. Benjy nods his head in agreement.