Chapter 7

Imani

I don't know what happened. One minute I was getting out of the car and then next I see Neema pining my father down by his neck against the car door. I wanted to jump in but they were moving too fast for me to understand what was napping. What I knew for sure is my father and Neema were fighting. I never have seen anyone with that type of strength before. Also what I found odd is while they were fighting I would sometimes hear growling noises similar to dogs. I am not sure if I could hear it correctly or it was just my imagination. Zoe was able to stop them from fighting and we all went inside. 

Honestly, I was happy Ben was giving Neema a piece of his mind. Because that's what I wanted to do when I came here too. So I didn't find he was giving her a few bops on the head. I sat next to my Ben on the couch while Zoe and Neema sat across from us. 

"So start talking." He says crossing his arms and sitting back. 

Neema didn't say anything and looked away. 

"Look it's been 23 years. I think we all waited long enough its either you come clean so we can all move forward or I'll take you back home for questioning and treat you like a trader to our pack." Neema's eyes widen in shock at my father's threat. 

"Ben--"

"Take your pick because right now your time is up." He said with a serious tone. For a while, Neema and my father had a staredown until finally she blinked and looked away. 

"Dam it." Neema said taking a deep breath. "I--I don't know where to start."

"You can start by telling me why you and Zora lied about your pregnancy," He says. "How old is she anyway?" He asked looking over at Zoe.

"I'm twenty-three" Zoe answered. 

"Hayibo, twenty-three!" Ben yelled in shock. "What--wa--what? how is that even possible? --wait that would mean you had to be pregnant around the time you went---"

"College yes," Neema says. "I got pregnant when I was in college." Neema saw how Zoe and I were confused and said: "I am his older sister." Looking at us. 

"When I left for college I met my mate. We mated and I ended up with Zoe."

"Why did you keep something like this some us? you know we would have supported you both." Ben asks confused. 

"Zoe's father isn't of our race. He had his secrets just like Zora and he told me it was best to keep Zoe a secret in order to protect us." She said. 

"And so you felt to was safe to hide and be alone than to be protected by your own pack?" He said feeling hurt. 

"I--I am sorry Ben but at the time I had to. I was willing and I am still willing to do whatever it takes to keep Zoe safe. I want to tell you everything I wanted to come home many times. But the people who were after us---" Neema shacks her head. "The--they killed Zoe's father," Neema says looking down. "They weren't going to stop at nothing until we were all dead. I couldn't put you and the pack through all that."