Chapter 7

"Listen! I know you are mute now but I'm pretty sure it's temporary. I, I can heal it. I'm the one that saved you and bandaged you up"

He gave her a reluctant look. He checked himself out eyeing his bandaged body before finally putting his sword down. Bai Fu can finally breathe.

They settled at the table for breakfast in awkwardness.

"Here," Bai Fu slid his bowl and chopsticks. "I know you have a lot of questions right now, but you can rest assure and eat something first. Since you can't talk you can just point and I'll try to figure out what you mean. Later I'll retrieve paper and ink from the storage shed outside. It's good that you didn't lose your hearing too."

She watched as he steadily picked up the chopsticks. "Eat," she said while making eating motions.

Once he took his first bite, Bai Fu picked up her own chopsticks and started eating. A few bites later, she heard a tap and saw the now mortal man pointing in the direction of the bowl of medicine from earlier.

"Oh that? It's Auspicious Six Treasure."

He gave her a look to tell her to elaborate.

"Auspicious Six Treasure, my own medicine. Made from the finest ingredients: onion, ginger, garlic, celery, cilantro, and sichuan pepper. This, it's really good for sickness and cooking." Bai Fu coughs a bit to prevent her from laughing. "It's best when used for birds."

The injured man stared blankly at her amused face. He didn't get the joke.

He gestured his face with a wave of his hand and then pointed to the mask on her face. "I have this mask on because I have a really ugly carbuncle growing on it. If I take it off, the whole world will treat me like trash so I keep it on," she lied.

Really, Bai Fu needed to keep her identity a secret. She didn't want him dying and then remembering meeting her. Plus, the masked man was still out there. It was a good thing she wore her mask too so he wouldn't have seen her face.

He then gestured his lack of clothing. "I took off your clothes because they were all bloodied and stinked. How else am I supposed to clean your wounds..." Bai Fu puckered her lips thinking about his tone and muscular body. She was glad she wore the mask or he would've seen her blush.

Looking up she sees his glare at her probably knowing what she was thinking.

"Don't worry! I'm a woman of honor! I didn't take advantage of you at all. You know, if I wanted to take advantage, I would've tied you up first- Ugh!" Bai Fu started laughing, "I'm joking. It's a joke."

He still didn't look amused.

"If you're finished, just leave the bowl on the table. I'll be back. I'm going to get the paper and ink. It'll be easier for us to communicate."

She got up from the table and headed outside. Coming back in record time, Bai Fu handed him the stuff. He writes quickly.

What's my problem?

"Wow, you have nice handwriting. And your problem..." Shoot! She didn't know at all. From what she knew, there were only some causes for someone to be mute when they weren't one before. Bai Fu thought for a bit. It was obvious he fainted from exhaustion and the lack of blood but... Her healing orb wasn't able to heal his mute last night, so he must have been poisoned for a long time. It was the only cause.

"Can you write down your diet?"

He nodded.

Melon, razor clam, radix root, ginseng, fragrant solomon's seal, gourd...