Eleven: Shelby

A/N: Hey guys, I'm getting close to finishing this. Yay! Then I will be fixing DYTLM plot (it WILL change) after I finish this. Comment on anything for any reason, good, bad, random!

~Pip Pip Da Doodly Doo~

<=-{^v^}-=>

It's been a week-- one whole week-- since my brother disappeared. My twin brother is gone and everything feels off. Then, there is my family. Mom is, needless to say, freaking out. Dad is locked away in his office figuring out where he may be along with Beta Blake and Gamma Stu. Logan and Carter are searching as much as they can with the others-- kind of surprisingly, Marcus is one of the others. Mikena and Tyler can tell something is off, but Amanda and I have been doing our best to distract them.

A few days ago, my aunt and her family came into town. She has three kids, two are older than me and one younger. Her oldest daughter is 20-- her mate stayed at their pack, and she will be be leaving today to go back to him. Her oldest son is 17-- mateless at the moment. Her youngest son is 15. Uncle Gavin came and stayed for the first night, but left the next night-- he's the Gamma of the Blue Rising Pack and needed to get back.

Mom's older brothers came into town with their family, too. Uncle Tim has twin daughters who are 15 and a son who is 10. Uncle Jared has a son who is 19 and a son who is 16.

Also, Grandma and Grandpa-- Dad's parents-- and Nona and PopPop-- Mom's parents-- came in to stay with us.

Needless to say, our house is packed with stresses and sad people.

And after Monday-- it's Saturday right now-- school starts up again. I feel like it's going to be worse then. It's not that there won't still be people searching-- because there is no doubt that their wont be, Logan isn't in school now and he'll search-- but I'll be starting school without my brother. He is out there missing, and I'm here learning about the quadratic theorem. Who knows what they are doing to him! And I'm here doing nothing to help him!

<=-{^v^}-=>

In the kitchen, Mom and I are making different types of sandwiches for lunch. Amanda, Stella-- Carter's mom-- and Marie-- Marcus's mom-- are watching the kids in the game room upstairs. The others, if they aren't helping to look for clues about Daric, are talking in the living room.

I pull lemonade and iced tea mix out of the cabinet and set them on the table. I look out the window to see two pack trackers conversing. Even though it is winter, both are only wearing shorts ready to shift one again.

"Mom, do you ever feel like you are useless in a situation?"

"Everyone feels that way at one point," Mom answers without looking up from the sandwich she is working on.

"No, I mean, do you ever feel like you can do something, but others just won't let you?"

Mom puts down her mayonnaise covered knife down this time and looks right at me. "Let me ask you a few questions."

"Um, okay." I shrug.

"What will Carter be when Logan is made Alpha?"

That's easy. "He'll become Beta."

"Okay, and what does the Beta do?"

"He helps the Alpha run the pack."

"What's the Luna's job?"

Where is she going with all this? "The Luna takes care of the pack members. She is like the mother."

"Pretty much," Mom looks at me like this is the main point coming up. "Who will you be when Logan becomes Alpha?"

"Um, the Beta's mate," I say more as a question.

"What do you think is the job of the Beta's mate?"

"What do you mean?"

Mom turns back to the sandwich in front of her. "There are a lot of people in this pack and a lot has to get done. That makes a big job for the Alpha and Luna. The Beta and Gamma help the Alpha the most. But what happens when something big has to be planned or panic ensues through the pack? Who helps the Luna?

"My son is missing," Mom looks me in the eyes. There is so much pain in her voice, my heart hurts. However, her face remains calm. "My son is missing and I have to stay calm. There are so many people that need help an that may panic if I don't remain calm. And who helps me with that impossible task?

"It is the job of the Beta's mate and Gamma's mate to help the Luna."

<=-{^v^}-=>

Mom and I finish the sandwiches quickly after that. We carry them around the house to hand them out to everyone inside, and then we carry some out to hand out the those moving in and out of the yard as the search for my brother continues.

"Gwen!" Dad calls from the door t the kitchen. We both turn to look at him. He walks over to us. "I just got a mind link. Someone is at the border asking for me. They said they may know something about Daric's disappearance."

Something I had noticed this past week is no one says Daric was kidnapped. That is what happened. Someone took my brother. Instead they insist on saying things like "missing", "disappearance", or "gone" (however the latter one is rarely used most likely because it sounds bad-- although it is difficult to find a word that doesn't). I guess they are scared to fray my parents even more than they all ready are. They need their leaders.

"What are you going to do?" Mom barely whispers.

The determination in Dad's eyes is almost frightening "I'm going to go talk to them and find our son."

<=-{^v^}-=>

A/N: Vote if you like the chapter, story or if you have ever been on a freaking long road trip.

~Pip Pip Da Doodly Doo~