C H A P T E R | F O U R

After a full day of thought, deliberation, and pandering, Flynn decides it would be best to talk to Willow.

Maybe that isn't completely true. Owen has been whining nonstop to see his mate again. Flynn had finally agreed to do so. That is the main reason why they are going to talk to her. One last time to see her, hear her.

You may ask yourself "What about when he rejects her?" He won't be doing that. He's too weak to reject her. He is too weak to face her and completely and utterly cut ties for ever between the two of them. In a year or so, the bond will fade. It should. That is what he has heard.

And all of this is yet another reason he can't be with her. He is not good enough. He is not strong enough. They aren't the perfect match like they are supposed to be. The Moon Goddess made a mistake somewhere down the line. Maybe they used to be perfect for each other. Maybe if he was never involved with the rogues or if she wasn't in the pack the rogues attacked, they would have been fine. Or maybe if they even first meet years from now it all could have worked out. But that is not what happened. And now, they can not happen.

As Flynn raises his fist to the door of his mate's house, he begins to regret showing up without warning. He pauses for a moment. Should he knock? Maybe he should leave, call, and come back. No he can't. If he did, he knows he would only chicken out. He may not even call, and if he managed to do that, he may not show up! He would have to talk to her twice. His heart speeds faster than Usain Bolt thinking about talking to her once. Twice. If he had to work up the nerve to talk to her twice, his heart would burst from the speed. On top of that, he would take him years to even do it.

With that decided, he knocks on the door. It is soft, barely a tap, but he knows someone will hear if they are in the house. It isn't very large, and they are wolves. It feels like an hour before someone answers, and in that wait, his thoughts conflict heavily. He hopes Willow is home. He hopes Willow isn't home. He hopes Willow opens the door. He hopes it's her mom that opens the door. Or maybe one of her friends will open the door. Not her dad. That is one thing both sides of his brain can agree on.

When the door finally starts to move and the doorway opens, Willow is revealed. She is shocked to say the least. Yes she breathed in his scent when she got closer to the door, but that's nothing new. She had been smelling it for days, but it was all in her mind. However, this time, it wasn't.

"Hey, um," Flynn starts while scratching the nape of his neck. Then, he clears his throat. "Can we, uh, talk?"

Willow is frozen, but her mate's words -- his voice that she hasn't heard in so long -- wakes her mind just enough to give a small, short nod. She opens the door enough for him to enter the threshold. When Flynn steps in, and Willow shuts the door, she leads him to a couch in the empty living room. They carefully place themselves at the edges of either end of the couch.

"I, um, came to explain." Flynn looks at the knotting fingers in his lap.

Willow can only nod silently.

"I guess you, uh, may be thinking the wrong reason." Flynn begins tapping his fingers on his jean clad leg. "I think it's really obvious-" Willow sucks in an inaudible breath. "-but may be..."

Silence descends on the couple once again. It thickens like a cloud of fog, wrapping its cold arms around them. It separates them further, stretches their thoughts thinner. As he time increases, so does their heart rates, confusion, and breaths.

"I guess it would be best to just say it plain and simple." Flynn finally sighs. He doesn't know if it is because of relief that he is able to talk again, or if it is because he is trying -- yet failing -- to remove tension from his body.