Chapter Fifteen

Trust was his friend with whom he'd playPeek-a-boo and Ride the Pony

Peek-a-boo and Ride the Pony.
Warmth was a woman old and gray,
And Resignation was her crony.

Sweetness was his favorite aunt
And Jealousy was his sibling.
Tenderness was full of cant
And ever busy scribbling.

When I grow up, the infant thought,
I'll be like them until I drop.
The boy was sold as he was brought,
And now he is a traffic cop.

Love had moved to another coast;
Her calls to him were all refused.
Sorrow was a parent's ghost,
Pity a child who'd been abused.

While pallid Anger sat and stewed,
Fear dogged her steps from street to street.
Joy rarely laughed (she thought it rude),
And Ennui lived to overeat.

Every July her feelings met
At a kind of family reunion,
And she would stay at home and get
Drunk in blissful self-communion. (Tom Disch)

~~~~~~~~

"Where did you find this place?" I ask Jungkook as I brought my legs to my chest. "I've lived with Hoseok for years and never once found this." I comment.

"Back when before my parents died, I'd go into the woods all the time and had a little treehouse here that I built." He answers and I smile.

"That sounds awesome." I comment and he nods.

"It was." He agrees as he sighs. "All my friends would come with me into my treehouse and we'd play a lot of games and sometimes sleep in it." He adds then my face lights up.

"That sounds really amazing!" I exclaim and he chuckles.

"Didn't you do something like that with friends?" He asks me and I shrug.

"Not really." I answer as I sigh. "I didn't do anything that epic as a kid. One because my parents always worked and I didn't get to go out much. And two, I didn't have many friends." I add as I look down. "I had always been socially awkward and had a stuttering issue since I was little, but couldn't make friends easily because I was afraid to talk to people." I explain then he hums.

"I'm sorry about that." He sympathizes. "I had a feeling when I first met you that you didn't have very many friends. You were very timid and quite alone when I saw you, I could immediately tell without needing to know your thoughts." He explains then I nod.

The sky began to get darker with just little stars in the sky and a few meteors coming by every once in a while. It was complete silence between Jungkook and I, but not an awkward silence, more a comfortable one, like when you're with your friends.

"Jungkook," I call out then he looks at me, "can I ask you a question and you be honest?" I ask and he shrugs.

"You just did, but I guess so." He answers then I look at him.

"What are you exactly?" I ask him then he looks at me confusingly.

"What do you mean?" He asks me as he cocks his head to the side. "I already told you, I'm a demon." He responds then I shake my head.

"No, you're something more than that. You and the others are." I add then his eyes widen.

"What do you mean?" He asks me.

"I've seen Jimin's eyes change more than once, Seokjin knows too much about what you are, Taehyung's eyes are much different, and Hoseok knows too much about demons that it's suspicious." I explain then I look at him. "And you told me something about the demon in my apartment screwing everything up and told me a lot about your past and how you come back every few hundred years." I add then he sighs.

"I can't let you know." He tells me and my eyebrows furrow.

"Why not?" I ask him. "Why can't I know?" I question then he shakes it head.

"It could get you killed." He answers.

"How would it get me killed?" I ask him then he sighs, upset.

"Please, don't dig any deeper into it." He requests then I start to get upset.

"I want to know, though! I don't want to be suspicious!" I exclaim then he exhales, deeply.

"You can't know because it will get you killed like the other one!" He shouts and my eyes widen.

"What do you mean about 'other one'?" I ask him then he sighs.

"Remember when Jimin mentioned 'Annabeth'?" He asks me and I nod. "Yeah, that was one of the previous girls I met about thirty years ago. She found out my whole purpose for everything, was shocked at first, but accepted everything and kept it a secret. Satan found out and she was the last one alive and I had to watch her be tortured in front of me." Jungkook explains then he sighs.

He clears his throat as he rubs the side of his head then looks down.

"She was continuously abused, burned, drowned, and raped in front of me. It tore me apart the whole time, that I promised to never do that to anyone again." He explains.

He continues to look down then rubs his eyes a little bit, wiping away producing tears. He tilts his head back, having the tears fall back into his eye sockets. I place my hand on his back and start rubbing it.

He leans his head on my shoulder, making me blush a little bit, then he takes a deep breath. A few meteors go by as we just sit there, his head resting on me as I comfort him from his previous heartbreak. Hearing what happened to that poor girl and how it hurt him so bad, made me feel awful for her.

"I'm not gonna lie, it's crazy that I've ever even thought of this." He starts off.

He sits up and looks up at the sky with a tear running down his cheek and a little small smile on his face as he shakes his head.

"Imagining a life without you, scares me a little bit." He confesses and my cheeks turn bright red.

As he said that, a somewhat large glimpse of light zooms in the sky, as he looks at me with a fond smile on his face. Making me smile back at him.