Chapter Forty-Four

Gulp down your wine, old friends of mine,Roar through the darkness, stamp and sing

Roar through the darkness, stamp and sing

And lay ghost hands on everything,
But leave the noonday's warm sunshine
To living lads for mirth and wine.

I met you suddenly down the street,
Strangers assume your phantom faces,

You grin at me from daylight places,
Dead, long dead, I'm ashamed to greet
Dead men down the morning street.
(Robert Graves)

~~~~~~~~

{~5 Years Later~}

"Hae-Seong, it's time to wake up." I whisper to him as I lightly tap him.

He stirs as he turns onto his back and rubs his eyes while moaning during his stretch. I walk to his light switch and turn it on, hearing a little whine from him.

"Mommy, is too bright." He complains then I hum in response.

"But Mommy doesn't want you to go back to sleep, pumpkin." I respond then he shakes his head.

"I not going back to sleep, Mommy." Hae-Seong assures me as he sits up with his eyes still closed. "I just really tired." He tells me then I squat in front of him.

"Does Mommy need to give pumpkin coffee?" I ask him and he shakes his head.

"No," he answers as he makes an icky face, "pumpkin want Mommy's yummy donuts for breakfast." Hae-Seong requests then I stroke his raven hair.

"We're out of Mommy's yummy donuts, pumpkin." I tell him then he pouts.

"That not very good, Mommy." He tells me and I nod. "I need Mommy's yummy donuts to survive." He comments and I chuckle at him.

"I know, I know, pumpkin." I agree then I sigh. "Maybe we can go to Krispy Kreme and get some donuts there." I suggest then he hums.

"Otay, I guess." He agrees then he lifts his arms up at me. "Can uncle Tae-Tae come with us?" He asks me and I hum.

"I will ask him if he would want to come with us." I answer then he puckers his lips at me.

"Morning kisses, Mommy." He reminds me then I hum.

"After you brush your teeth, pumpkin." I answer then he frowns at me.

"But Mommy never ever says no to my kisses." He pouts as he crosses his arms then I smile.

"I'll never stop wanting your kisses, pumpkin." I assure him as I grab his hands and he hops off of his bed. "But your breath is stinky and Mommy doesn't like stinky breath." I remind him and he nods.

"You're right." He agrees and I chuckle.

"Mommy's always right." I correct and he nods.

"Mommy's always right!" He repeats with his little lisp.