Haunted

You and I walk a fragile line.I have known it all this time, but I never thought I'd live to see it break. It's getting dark and it's all too quiet.

 It was dark, and eerily quiet, I sat in the same spot he'd left me, glasses shattered and pictures torn. I felt the dry tears on my face. I'm sure I looked a mess but, I didn't care. I was angry, I was hurt, I was betrayed by the person I thought I could trust the most. I felt a familiar tingle in my throat as a sound escaped my lips. I didn't even know I was crying until I felt the tears fall into my hands. I'm still trying to grasp what had just happened.

******************************************

“You lied to me, you said you wouldn't leave.” I stared at him through teary eyes, “What am I supposed to do now?” I dropped to my knees feeling utterly pathetic. I wailed and shouted, but he kept packing he didn't even look at me.

“Why won't you listen to me?” I screamed at the top of my lungs. He lifted his gaze to me.  His hands running over his face before he gave me a cold stare.

“What did I do? Tell me what I did wrong, August.” I was desperate, I needed to know what I'd done so I could fix it, so he wouldn't leave.

And I can't trust anything now. And it's coming over you like it's all a big mistake.

“You didn't do anything wrong,” he said breaking the stare down. “I'm doing this for you, to keep you safe. My lifestyle is going to kill you.” he said turning away to pack the rest of his things.

“What are you talking about? I've learned to deal with everything August, the dealers, your friends, everything. They lov--”

“No they don't.” he shouted slamming the closet door. “They don't love you! They dont an-- you have no idea how wrong you are.” his jaw clenched and the skin over his knuckles stretched tightly as he balled his fists at his sides. I had never seen him like this he was always so happy and sweet to me, this wasn't my August.

Oh, I'm holding my breath. Won't lose you again something's made your eyes go cold.

“Why would you say that?” My lips started to quiver as fresh tears rolled down my cheeks.  “I mean of course I've gotten those death threats but you said to ignore them and I did.  I don't believe they'll actually get to me August.” I said.

“Again, You have no idea how wrong you are.” he spat, August zipped up his bag and carried his luggage out of the bedroom, I followed close behind him.

Still I begged, I pleaded , but he kept walking. He sat his bags down in the living room and gathered more of his things. “August, please. Don't go. I don't know what happened to us, we were perfect a few weeks ago. You can't leave me like this.” I know I sounded pathetic but I couldn't help it August is my everything. He's always been the best part of me, and now he's leaving.

Come on, come on, don't leave me like this. I thought I had you figured out. Something's gone terribly wrong.You're all I wanted.

“I have to leave, It's what's best for you...” He stopped and slid his closed fingers over his face. His nostrils flared as he inhaled, he seemed to be more relaxed by the time he exhaled. “It's what's best for us.” he finished looking into my eyes, his deep voice rang in my ears and sent chills down my spine. His tone was so final, “I'm sorry, I have to go.” he said.

It cut a fresh mark in my heart as he spoke those words. He picked up his things and grabbed his car keys off the counter, he opened the front door and took a loud breath out. 

“What happened to forever?” I spoke barely audible. “Forever. You told me forever.” I said stepping forward.

He hesitated at the door. He lifted his gaze from the ground to look back at me, he shook his head and said once more.. “I'm.. sorry.” He snapped his eyes back to the ground and picked up his last bag and walked out of the door and out of my life.