Moving Forward

One year after Praimfaya

Nia jolted up in her bed, sweat covered her body as she blinked away the images she saw. Nightmares, she hated them. They were the cause of her sleepless nights and her standoffish position among the group.

Each one a visual of the ghosts that haunted her. Since ALIE, they have come more frequently and served as a remindered not to pick up her sword.

She pushed the covers back and left the room. Her destination was the window that she had not visited in months. Her breathing evened out once she was stationed in front of it. Little did she know that another person was up and walking around.

"Nia?" Bellamy called out to her once he saw her by the window. "What are you doing up?"

"I could ask you the same." Nia responded hoping to avoid the subject.

"Nia." Bellamy tried again in a softer tone. This time he stood in front of her watching her slightest movements.

A sigh left her lips as she knew that he wouldn't leave this topic alone. "Since ALIE, I've had nightmares. Because I revolted against her, she often tortured me with the images of those I've killed." Her words paused as she thought of the next thing to say. "She seemed to enjoy repeatdly playing the deaths of my family after every so often. Because ALIE was connected to everyone, she saw each of their deaths even if I hadn't. I was able to see how they all died one by one. But now it seems as though the image plagues me and now I see them in my sleep."

Bellamy listened to her explain and made note of his many times she seemed restless. Her eyes dark with circles as if she had stayed up all night. Even the mornings when they woke and she was standing at the window looking down at the world. It all made sense. But the question was how could he help her?

He remembered a time when nightmares plagued his mind, Nia was always there. She often sat up and listened to him speak about them. Other times she was smile to soothe him back into a slumber. One thing was certain, her presence helped him through it.

"You don't have to go through this alone Nia. I'm here whenever you need to talk." He offered hoping she might open up to him.

"I always admired Lincoln for wanting to find peace among the clans. I could never advocate like he did. He truly believed there was a way. I just wanted to stop fighting." Nia told him truthfully.

No matter how much Nia said she wanted peace there was always a part of her that liked fighting. That's what made her a great warrior. She obey orders and was able to conjure plans that had the least loss. But she hated picking up the weapon. She hated seeing the ghosts of those she killed. That's why she helped Lincoln whenever she could.
"I hated the laws that were put in place on the Ark. You break even the smallest one and you'd be put to death." Bellamy spoke to her trying to give her some sort of comfort. "That's why Octavia was kept a secret for so long. She would ask to go out the door, to see the Ark but we couldn't allow her to. My mom had managed to get me into becoming a guard, one night I snuck Octavia into this masquerade and I ended up getting her caught. She got thrown in lock up and my mother got floated. I got demoted to a janitor and spent everyday blaming myself for Octavia and my mom. It's the one thing that haunts me more than anything. Some nights I still see both of their faces."