570

Their New Year’s Eve

The following day was new year’s eve. After attending this final court session of the year, the Emperor impatiently dragged Zhang Yuan over to Winter Moon Palace.

Behind Zhang Yuan, there were four other eunuchs holding platters. On these platters were brand new court clothes that were pure white. While walking, he muttered: “It’s time for the new year. If your Majesty wants to get closer with imperial concubine Yun, you should send something festive. Who sends white clothes when celebrating the new year? How good would red or pink be.”

The Emperor waved his hand: “No good, no good. Beloved does not like those. When have you ever seen her wearing conspicuous clothes while being heavily made-up.? She likes white and clean things. It is most suited to that temperament that is like water.” As soon as the Emperor thought of imperial concubine Yun, a smile immediately appeared on his face, and he immediately asked Zhang Yuan: “Today is new year’s eve. Do you think that beloved will see Us?”

Zhang Yuan wanted to say not, but it was not too good to strike at his master with the changing of the year. He thought a bit then said seriously: “There is probably a fifty-fifty chance!”

“Then you may as well have not said it.” The Emperor rolled his eyes at Zhang Yuan and did not say anything else to him. He just increased his pace, practically trotting over to Winter Moon Palace’s gates. When he stopped, he was gasping for air, only saying: “No good, no good. If this was a few years earlier, I would not be gasping like this. My health these past two years is clearly worse than it was in the past.” These words were shouted very loudly, and it was practically shouted using internal energy.

Zhang Yuan felt that this was truly too shameful. If you’re tired to this degree yet can still shout so loudly, your Majesty, just who are you trying to fool? This was too much of a mockery of imperial concubine Yun’s intelligence.

He could not stop himself from reminding him: “Don’t exaggerate that much. Right before imperial daughter left, she left you with a large amount of supplements. This servant was watching you take them every day.”

The Emperor felt that this damn eunuch truly spoke too much. Raising a hand, he began to bang on Winter Moon Palace’s gates. While banging, he shouted: “Dearest, open the gate! It’s the new year, We… I came to send you some new clothes. They are all newly made. They’re all white in color. I can guarantee that you will like them! Quickly open the gate for Us. Let’s stop this fighting, alright?”

The banging on the gates caused the people inside the palace to feel flustered. Normally speaking, this sort of scene was something that they had become accustomed to. Every year on new year’s eve, the Emperor would always come, but it had to be said that even if they did not open the gates, they would still have confidence. After all, imperial concubine Yun was there to support them. However, imperial concubine Yun was not in the palace at all. All of these people were completely horrified, fearing that the Emperor would not be able to hold back and enter anyway. Once the matter of imperial concubine Yun leaving the palace was exposed, none of them would be able to survive.

The person outside continued to shout and continued to bang on the door. It was just that the banging slowed and grew weaker each time. Finally, the Emperor stopped banging. Instead, he leaned against the gate and faced the door. Everyone was able to hear the Emperor say: “We’re getting older with each passing year. Both children are out of the capital. Dearest, I know that you are bored out of your mind. Haven’t I come to play with you? Can you just open the gate?”

Unfortunately, Winter Moon Palace’s gates were like a wall made of ice. Not only was it as hard as ice, but it was also cold and devoid of human emotion.