599

Disaster

The entire birthing process continued for one hour. The girl fainted a few times and was woken up again by Feng Yu Heng giving her an injection. At the critical moment, a pair of scissors cut the cervix and finally allowed the girl to successfully give birth to a girl.

The girl was very weak, but the baby was very healthy. The sounds of crying filled the air and helped to ease the tense atmosphere.

An old woman came forward and helped hold the child. Someone else also came forward to take care of the girl that had just given birth. Feng Yu Heng set up an infusion for the girl then began to explain the basis of the infusion to the people looking on in confusion.

Someone recognized her and asked: “Are you imperial daughter Ji An?”

The northern provinces too were far from the capital. In addition to Duan Mu An Guo’s deliberate planning, the people lived a very closed-off life. For the most part, the people spent their entire lives within the three provinces. At most, they would head down to Bian An County. That’s why they had very little understanding of the central region.

But there would always be people traveling around. Visiting merchants were an example. The officials that had come to celebrate Duan Mu An Guo’s birthday were also an example. Like this, divine doctor imperial daughter Ji An’s fame was spread. Although she was not as famous as Song Kang, she was still an imperial daughter. This status alone was quite overbearing.

Seeing that someone asked, Feng Yu Heng nodded, stating directly: “Indeed.” While she spoke, she did not stop moving her hands. She would occasionally take a look at the infusion device, fearing that the cold temperature would freeze the medicine.

When the people saw her admit it, they also began to rejoice. Smiling, they said to the girl that just gave birth: “You really are fortunate! To have the imperial daughter of the country personally help you give birth, this is a fortune that isn’t the result of just one lifetime of good deeds.”

The girl did not appear to be happy. Her body was weak, and she repeatedly looked toward the child, a look of attachment appearing in her eyes.

The old woman holding the child said: “It’s a very beautiful baby girl. She looks very similar to you.”

To have been selected as a concubine to enter the Winter Palace, how could she have not been pretty; however, the already ugly look on the girl’s face became a little worse. She repeatedly muttered: “Why is it a daughter? Why would it be a daughter? In the North, a daughter is the one thing that must not be born!” While saying this, she cried, “A girl will live to the age of 13 at most. After turning 13, she will have to enter that Winter Palace and suffer all kinds of humiliation. It would be better to have not given then to give birth to a daughter.”

Feng Yu Heng told her: “That won’t happen. Don’t worry, Duan Mu An Guo’s Winter Palace has already sunk. From this day forward, there won’t be anyone else to steal away girls as concubines. The girls of the future will have freedom. They will be free until the day they become of marriageable age. They can then marry the man that they love. I promise you that your daughter will definitely live very well.”

A glint of light flashed through the girl’s eyes. It was clear that Feng Yu Heng’s words allowed her to see a glimmer of hope. But the words that followed caused that hope that had suddenly risen to completely disappear.

Someone said: “Quickly, quickly take that child and burn it! Or sink it in a frozen lake. It must not be allowed to live in this world!”

These words caused everyone to freeze, but there were people that reacted very quickly, understanding what they meant, thus a majority of the people participating in the rescue efforts began to burst with energy. Covering up the earlier joy, they all shouted: “Right! Burn her! She is Duan Mu An Guo’s daughter! She must not be allowed to live in this world!”