443

A-Heng Provides Eggs for the Guests to Eat

This fire burned for a full four hours. After it finished burning, Feng Yu Heng distributed the disinfectant that she had brought and had the soldiers spray as much of the pile as possible. The emotions of the people stabilized, and they kowtowed three times to the already cremated bodies. They then followed Xuan Tian Ming back to the shelter.

When they returned, Xuan Tian Ge had begun ordering for the soldiers to begin distributing congee. It was once again simple congee and vegetables, but there was a large amount of rice, so the congee was very thick. Everyone enjoyed the meal.

Feng Yu Heng and Xuan Tian Ming went to the rest shelter to eat. Feng Yu Heng secretly pulled out a can of luncheon meat and gave it to Xuan Tian Ming. As a result, this can was pushed back and forth. Even if Feng Yu Heng told him that there was still more in her space, he still had her eat first.

Feng Yu Heng helplessly took a bit; however, she was unable to taste anything. She sighed and put down her chopsticks, helplessly asking Xuan Tian Ming: "Could it be that you also don't have an appetite?"

Xuan Tian Ming smiled bitterly but did not put down his chopsticks. He just told Feng Yu Heng: "Even if you don't have an appetite, you still must eat to maintain your stamina. What's most important is for us to still have energy. Only like this can we help more people."

Feng Yu Heng nodded, picking up her chopsticks once more. She picked up her bowl but continued to think about some things. Not long later, she spoke up once more: "We don't have enough people. We cannot keep Tian Ge here to make food. I was thinking of bringing some more servants out from the city to help out, but we don't have enough shelters to house more help. It would be better to choose some women from the group of refugees to help. Ask if they want to help, and we can provide some money. They can also eat a little better."

Xuan Tian Ming did not have any objections to this, only saying: "You can make the decision on this sort of thing. I will follow your lead."

Feng Yu Heng continued: "Then I will go call Wang Chuan and Huang Quan to go pick some later. The priority will be given to those that can cook. Those that can sew are also fine. Even if they don't know how to do anything, at least they can help carry plates and bowls." When Xuan Tian Hua had come the previous night, he had brought out a large number of bowls and spoons. This had resolved one of Xuan Tian Ge's main problems. Huang Quan had once laughed at her, saying that she was, in the end, still an imperial daughter. In the past, all of these things had been left to the servants to consider. She could bring rice, but she had managed to forget about bringing bowls.

Just as she was thinking about this, Wang Chuan entered with some people behind her. They turned around and saw that it was Xiang Rong, Fung Tian Yu and Ren Xi Feng.

Some joy appeared on Feng Yu Heng's face. She quickly stood up and asked: "Have the clothes arrived?"

Ren Xi Feng stepped forward and saluted Xuan Tian Ming first before saying: "They've arrived. This time, it's thanks to Xiang Rong. If it was not for her coming up with the idea, perhaps this matter would not have been completed."

Feng Yu Heng looked at Xiang Rong in confusion. The girl had her head lowered, and her cheeks were red. She was unwilling to say anything. Instead, Fung Tian Yu quickly said; "In the beginning, we returned to our own homes to find our old clothes, but A-Heng, you know that even if they are our old clothes, the material is very expensive, and it is also adorned with gauze or other ornaments. They are too frilly. How could they be suitable for the citizens to wear. Even the madams and young misses that we recognize would have clothes that are similar to this. After this, Xiang Rong said that it would be better for us to go buy clothes from normal households. After all, they are living in their own homes that are not leaking, and they cannot go out in this sort of weather. Even if they don't have any clothes to wear, they would have the time to make clothes for themselves. Thus we first went to a fabric store and bought a large amount of fabric. We then brought silver with us and knocked on each home, explaining the situation. The citizens were all very understanding of the situation, and most traded their clothes for fabric. As for some that were truly struggling, we left a bit of silver as well. We also went to get clothes from each family's servants. Like this, we managed to fill ten carriages with clothes, and they have all been brought out."