423

Pristine Jade Star Chart

Following this shout, the pair of newlyweds that was about to pay respects was startled. Feng Chen Yu furrowed her brow. She was not the slightest bit happy about the Empress sending a gift.

In her eyes, nothing related to the Empress has ever gone well. She had not benefited even once from them. When has it ever not been some sort of punishment? Today was her wedding day, and it was clear that the Empress did not have any good intentions!

That was what she thought, and the third prince, Xuan Tian Ye, also felt the same; however, the Empress had sent people to deliver a gift, thus they could not choose to not receive it. He could only have a servant push him out to receive it. A granny, with a smile on her face, came forward while carrying something carried in a large red cloth. Saluting Xuan Tian Ye, she said: “This old servant pays respects to your Highness.”

Xuan Tian Ye raised his hand and said: “No need to be so courteous. This prince is just welcoming in a secondary wife. How could I trouble mother Empress with dispatching someone to send something.” While saying this, he used his eyes to tell a servant to go and receive the thing in the granny’s hand.

The granny handed it over and immediately reached out to remove the red cloth. She then loudly said: “Her Highness, the Empress, has presented your Highness Prince Xiang with a pristine jade star chart, wishing your Highness Prince Xiang and eldest young miss Feng enjoy a harmonious and happy life.”

“Huh?” Everyone present expressed their confusion. Why was this sort of thing being sent to the Xiang Palace?

Feng Yu Heng looked at it and also felt it was a little strange. In her eyes, there was nothing special about it. It was just a slightly more valuable piece of jade that had been carved into the shape of a plate. It had just been given a nice name, but the reactions were worthy of investigation.

Her gossip-loving heart was in full-drive. Reaching out, she poked Xuan TianMing: “What is the meaning behind the pristine jade star chart?”

Xuan Tian Ming replied with a question: “Do you know what pristine jade means?”

Hearing these words, Feng Yu Heng immediately understood. Looking again at the granny that had sent the plate, it seemed that Princess Xiang had asked the Empress for this. As for the pristine jade star chart, based on Xuan Tian Ming’s explanation, she felt that it could be given a different name like “Face-slapping star chart.” It seemed that the noble and well-learned women of the imperial palace really were different. Even when insulting people, they did not use words. Instead, they used items.

Feng Chen Yu’s face was covered by her bridal veil, so she naturally could not see what was happening outside; however, she did hear what the granny had said. She had once heard people speak about the pristine jade star chart and its use through countless eras and dynasties. When a noble girl entered the palace and had her body inspected, it was something that guaranteed their identity. For anyone that was found to be a virgin, the granny in charge would provide her with a pristine jade star chart, certifying that she had passed the assessment. In the past few centuries, this pristine jade star chart had already undergone a few changes. In today’s Da Shun, gradually made its way out of the palace, allowing for some of the higher-ranking officials’ families to use it.

Normally speaking, before a daughter from a standard second rank official’s family got married, they would always invite a granny from the palace to inspect their daughter’s bodies. After they had passed the inspection, they could request the pristine jade star chart from the Empress. That girl would then carry it when leaving home and entering the husband’s home to act as proof of her purity.