571

Opportunistic Attack

She had simply put some lighter fluid in the pistil of the ice flower, hiding it in the deep. If she had not seen it before in her previous life, she really might not be able to handle this bit of magic.

Feng Yu heng had never been good at this sort of thing, but she would always be a little better off than the other girls. Producing a flame in the ice flower allowed her to successfully differentiate herself from the 17 other girls.

“You, what is your name?” The woman in charge of teaching asked her, a smile appearing on her face.

Feng Yu Heng said: “My name is Fu Ya.”

“Fu Ya, very good. Out of the 17 of you, there are spots for ten to come with the Illusory Hall to enter the Winter Palace tomorrow. You will be one of them. The remaining nine spots will depend on your results. I will give you two hours. Once you’ve learned how to do it, come to the front hall to find me.”

After the woman finished talking, she followed the middle-aged man into a room. The girls in the courtyard began a new round of practice to start a fire on the ice flower.

Feng Yu Heng carried her ice flower to the side and sat down. Two of the girls immediately moved over. She could recognize them. These two had accompanied Xiao Ya to the Illusory Hall yesterday. One of them had even tried to convince Xiao Ya for a long time. Yesterday, she had used the condition of treating Xiao Ya’s mother’s condition to trade for her identity, thus she could come on this trip. But there was nothing to fear during this aside from being recognized by Xiao Ya’s close friends.

However, reality proved that her worries were unnecessary. In her eyes, she and Xiao Ya were 70 percent similar. In the eyes of these girls, that would be a complete similarity. It was at most: “The rouge that you used today is definitely different than usual, but you are definitely prettier than before!” The one that spoke was the girl that had advised Xiao Ya to come and register here. She slightly furrowed her brow and asked her: “Today is new year’s eve. Will your mother be able to get out of bed?”

Feng Yu Heng’s expression became downcast, replying to her: “She can get out of bed, but she needs to rest after just speaking a bit. There are times when she will cough up blood. Father is worried about her catching a cold, in addition to me not being at home, this year’s new year’s dinner will be just the two of them. It’s most likely that they will just have a few bites at mother’s bedside.”

“Hah.” The girl sighed, telling her: “There’s no need to worry. Just now, yours was the first to catch fire. Sister Qi has already agreed to bring you into the Winter Palace. This means that you will receive some money. I heard that you can get 30 taels. This morning, right before we came here, I even said to father to go to the Fu residence to send some meat. Our family prepared a large amount.”

Feng Yu Heng revealed a thankful expression, repeatedly giving thanks. She knew that this girl was called Shen Yu Ning, and she was a good friend that had been with Xiao Ya for many years. Although Shen Yu Ning was hoping to climb to Duan Mu An Guo’s higher branches and wanted to stand out among others, her nature was quite good. She had taken extremely good care of the Fu family over the years.

As for the other one, her name was Zhang Lin Xi. She was also like Xiao Ya and did not want to come to the Illusory Hall. To deal with her greedy father, she was forced to do her best to get into the Winter Palace. Like this, their family would never need to pay taxes again.

Zhang Ling Xi said to Feng Yu Heng: “Xiao Ya, teach us how to do this. You know, if I can’t get into the Winter Palace, I will get beaten to death by my father.”