~Coming Out Pt. 1/2~

I wanted to write this chapter because I haven't really seen any chapters based on Keith coming out to the team so yeah. Lez go kids.

Based on season twOoOoOoOo.

Third P.O.V

Keith didn't know why he thought now was a good time to come out, but he just did. Maybe it was because of Lance's constant teasing about him never having a girlfriend? Maybe it was the lack of gay jokes on the ship? Maybe it was something else? He didn't know. The point was that no one knew and everyone just assumed he was straight.

He'd planned this out in his head. He'd go in the room, tell the team he was gay, and hopefully he'd be treated the same. Heck, he'd even gone as far as to predicting everyone's reactions.

Shiro would be fine. Before they went up into space Shiro had been engaged to a man named Adam. Not to mention Keith felt like Shiro already knew about Keith being gay so he had nothing to worry about there.

Hunk. Hunk was quite an accepting person. Sure, when he'd found out Keith was galra he asked a lot of questions but Hunk never really seemed to act negatively. He assumed Hunk might ask a few questions but then be over it straight away.

Pidge might already know. She was a smart being after all and could read people like an open book. Keith assumed she'd have hunches already and would be okay with it. At least, he hoped she would.

Lance, he wasn't sure. He knew Lance was really into girls and always flirted around them. He clearly had no idea Keith was gay due to the 'you'll never get a girlfriend' tease. This lead Keith to think that Lance may not treat him the same after this. But hey, he could be wrong.

Keith didn't know much about Alteans but he didn't think Coran and Allura would like it. He didn't know why, he just had a hunch. Allura hadn't accepted him well when he told them he was galra. Mind you, that had been for other reasons. Ugh, he didn't know what he was saying. They might accept him? He was just hoping.

Keith practised what he was going to say as he walked down the hall. He was really nervous but he felt like he needed to. He was trying to get closer to the team and he thought this would break down a barrier... or create another one. By the time he'd got to the door of the controls room he knew exactly what he was going to say off by heart. He was feeling confident now. He walked into the controls room and everyone turned to him.

His confidence dropped.

"U-Um... C-Can I tell you guys something..?" Keith asked quietly, deep down hoping they didn't hear him.

"Sure Keith, go ahead" Shiro said, giving the red paladin a welcoming smile. The rest all stared at him, waiting for him to speak. He started to feel anxious. All of those rehearsed lines seemed to float off out of his mind, leaving him with nothing. Why was he telling them again? Why now of all times? He'd known he was gay ages ago due to when he was younger he always despised girls. To be honest, he still kind of did. He'd never been able to keep a conversation with one. He then later realised he was gay and didn't really tell anyone. Not even Shiro.

"Are you okay, Keith? You look kind of nervous" Shiro asked, looking a little worried. Keith gulped, and scratched the back of his neck.

"Y-Yeah I'm okay it's just.... I-I actually h-had this whole thing p-planned out but I-I feel like I just forgot all of it" He replied, chuckling awkwardly. Somebody kill him.

"Take your time, Keith" Shiro reassured.

"S-So um... I-I don't know why I feel like I should t-tell you all now? I-I haven't really told anyone before w-which is probably why I'm struggling. Y-You're my friends a-and I feel like you should all know. I-I mean I hope I'm your friend. S-So basically I-I've known for a long t-time but never really s-saw the need to tell any o-of you. I-I think I'm telling you now because i-it was brought to my attention t-that none of you know a-and um..." Keith trailed off, realising he was just repeating himself. He had to get to the point.

"I-I'm gay.." He mumbled in the quietest voice ever.

"What was that? We can't hear you, Keith" Lance said.

"A-Are you really gonna make me say i-it again?" Keith mumbled.

"Well we didn't hear you the first time so-"

"I said I'm gay!" Keith shouted, fiddling with the corner of his top.

"Wait, you're gay?"

"Yes! How many times do I have to say it!?" Keith shouted, getting a little irritated.

"So... why are you telling us this now?" Lance asked.

"Did you not hear my heartfelt speech, Lance?" Keith asked, crossing his arms.

"Not really seeing you practically mumbled all of it" Lance said. Keith sighed and looked down at the ground.

"J-Just... nevermind. Pretend I never said anything" Keith mumbled, turning around to walk out of the room.

"Wait no, Keith! It's not that I don't accept you or anything. I just wondered why you're acting as if we were going to hate you" Lance said. Keith looked at them all.

"W-Well I don't know. Like I said I-I've never done anything like this s-so I don't really know how it works..?" Keith felt unsure.

"There's not really a certain way to do it, Keith. You just gotta tell them. It could be a speech or it could be a 'I'm gay by the way' kinda thing" Shiro said, smiling sweetly. "Anyways, I'm proud of you. I always kinda knew"

"Yeah I assumed you did" Keith said, smiling a little.

"Wait are you telling us this because you have a crush on someone?" Hunk asked smirking.

"No! I just wanted to tell you so Lance stops teasing me about never getting a girlfriend" Keith said, punching Lance in the arm.

"I mean I was right, wasn't I?" Lance said.

"Yeah, I guess you were"

"I mean I had a hunch you were gay but I thought maybe you just weren't interested in anyone at the moment and that I was just assuming. I guess I was right" Pidge said, smiling at Keith.

"I don't really know much about 'gay' people but if everyone else thinks it's okay I'm assuming it's okay" Allura said. Coran nodded in agreement.

"Wow, this went smoother than I thought" Keith said, relaxing a little.

"Wait, did you think we were gonna tie you up and throw you out into space or something?" Hunk asked.

"A little, yeah" Keith admitted. He was glad he'd told them. Deep down he knew they'd be fine with it which is why he told them. He felt as if a weight had been lifted off of his chest and that he was a lot closer to the team now.

Let the gay jokes begin.

Yeah okay I didn't know how to end it so I just did that. Anyways, I hope you enjoyed!

Words: 1167

~Author Mill