~The Black Shoes~

HiyaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAA! I was in the shower a few minutes ago and suddenly got the urge to write about Keith and Romelle as close friends and realised I have 93 parts to this book and not a single one of them has Romelle talking in it so yeah that's why we're here. This chapter isn't very eventful. It's just two people talking and messing around. Plus it's Keith's birthday HAPPY BIRTHDAY KEITH! Enjoy!

Do I know what season this is in? Of course not. Probably somewhere before season eight.

Third P.O.V

You'd think a first attempt at being the black paladin and a two year time period to reflect on yourself would be enough to teach Keith to be a good black paladin. You'd think that with enough experience and mistakes, Keith would've learned how to quickly make smart decisions that benefit the universe and his team.

You'd be thinking wrong.

Keith couldn't sleep. He'd tried changing positions, doing some press ups, sitting up and talking to himself (he wasn't sure why, but reflecting on himself sometimes made him tired) and he'd tried staying still for about half an hour, hoping he could trick his mind into thinking his body was asleep. It was around three in the morning now, and Keith quickly realised that tonight was going to be one of the restless ones.

He sighed, sitting up and resting his face in his hands. He had been hoping that the close call of today's-, well, yesterday's mission wouldn't affect his ability to sleep, but like always, whenever he closed his eyes, his mind took him back to the battlefield, guns firing, swords clashing, the horrifying screams of his fellow teammates as he was relied on to make a decision that would most likely depend on whether they made it out of here alive or-

Keith took a deep breath.

His time on the space whale had given him a lot to think about. With constant flashbacks over the whole course of two years, it was extremely likely that flashbacks of his time as the black paladin would come up. When they did, he'd told Krolia everything. He'd explained how much he'd struggled being the black paladin, and how every mission he'd felt like he was about to be responsible for someone's downfall. Him and his mother had talked about it and Krolia had given him some tips on how to lead better. He'd taken them in, of course, and when he charged in the black lion's hanger for the first time in two years, he'd felt a lot more prepared, as if he could actually do this. He could lead them for one last time.

But then it wasn't one last time. Turns out the black lion wasn't done with him.

Before he knew it, he was leading missions all the time. He was way more prepared now, but that didn't mean he didn't struggle sometimes. It didn't mean his thoughts on Shiro being able to do so much better stopped. It didn't mean he felt he was worthy.

Making sure his thoughts couldn't spiral anymore, Keith got up and exited his room. Him and the paladins now lived on ATLAS as the Garrison had said it would be smarter if they all stayed together instead of splitting up. Keith didn't really have anywhere else to go apart from his shack, so he wasn't too upset about it.

It didn't take Keith long to make it to the kitchen. He grabbed a cup from the cupboard and turned on the tap, listening at how the sound of the trickling water echoed throughout the room, not quite generating enough sound to cut through the silence, but enough to put pressure on it. He turned off the tap and sat down on one of the nearby couches, taking a sip of his water. He didn't know why he was in the kitchen; he'd just hoped it'd distract him from whatever his mind wanted him to think about. Keith set his cup down on the table, resting his head in his hands again, rubbing at his eyes. How come he was tired but couldn't sleep? Why does the mind do that?