[26]

rachel's pov

flashback- sophomore year

"hush rachel, you're so annoying!" kate whined as we entered the store. "now, you go fetch the things mom and dad want and we can call it a day."

"she's not mom." i mumbled. "why do i have to do it?"

"because i'm meeting someone before you go and i don't want you there." kate rolled her eyes. "now shoo, he should be here any minute now."

"ah yes, the boy toy." i rolled my eyes. "well, whoever he is, best of luck to him dealing with you. god knows i can't."

"then leave!" she hissed.

"with pleasure." i smiled. "i promise that whoever this prick is, i will not allow myself to fall so easily for someone like that. because from what i've heard, it's all bad news."

i walked down the isles and retrieved all of the things my stepmother and my dad had asked for. i went to pay for the items, kate was nowhere to be seen. that was until i gave up and went outside, where she and her boy-toy were going at it. the boy had tan skin and dark hair, and he was much taller than anticipated. black skinny jeans and a green day shirt, not too shabby i suppose. but then i snapped out of it, kate wasn't leaving anytime soon. so from there i phoned ashton, who more than gladly picked me up and took me home with the bags full of stuff.

"hey honey, where's your sister?" dad asked when i walked through the door with ashton. "hello ashton."

"hey mister a." ash smiled. "and that's the last one i think. i've gotta head out, picking up bella for that horror movie she wanted to see. i'll see you later rach, bye mister a!"

"bye ashton." we called as he left.

"remind me why my slut of a sister is the favored child in this household?" i asked as i put the meat in the freezer.

"rachel"

"don't start dad, i really don't want to hear it." i snapped. "she left me to do everything while she stayed outside to make out with a boy! a boy, dad! and if she does all of this shit it's okay. but when i do something, and i hardly do anything bad, i'm sentenced to jail time! what was it, grounded for two weeks because i forgot to buy bread for when the carter's came to visit jessica? bullshit!"

"rachel, you're a smart girl." dad reassured me. "and i know that with that mind if yours, you can do absolutely anything. i believe in you, i see your mom in you, which is why you need to keep fighting and pulling through. it'll all be over one day, you just need to be the one to end it. i love you, rachella."

"i love you too, dad." i smiled.

end of flashback

"carly, here's the one-hundred just like last time." i sighed, handing her he cash. "sorry again, about this."

"it's fine, honestly, you do more than enough for us as it is." the manager smiles. "take care, rachel."

"hemmings!" i call. "i'm ready to lea— calum?"

"hey rachel." he said.

"what's going on?" i asked.

"just fucking talk already!" luke threw his hands in the air and went into another room.

"so..." he lingered on. "let's talk."