[38]

calum's pov

"pneumonia isn't contagious, right?" ashton asked as he entered lenny's.

"it's water in your lungs, so no, i don't think so." bella laughed. "you're just being paranoid."

"now that we're all here, we can order!" michael cheered. "i'm starving."

"you're always hungry." crystal rolled her eyes.

"what about rachel?" i asked. "ana, you said she was going to be there, here even. where is she?"

"are you the only one out of the loop?" luke asked. "did no one actually tell him?"

"oh for fucks sake!" anastasia sighed. "calum, rachel has pneumonia. she can't leave that damn apartment of hers. the poor thing can't even lay down!"

"it's true." ashton spoke up. "she has to sleep sitting up because she can't lay down without feeling like she's drowning. it sucks, but all she can try to do is sleep."

"they had to give her heavily-dosed meds because of the stuff from her accident." bella said. "those things will knock her out cold, ease any other pain that illness of hers would cause while she's asleep."

"i've got to go." i mumbled and stood from my seat. "thanks for everything you guys. i'll talk to you all later."

i didn't care how contagious or whatever it was that made rachel ill, i had to see her. i'll be honest, i hadn't been the best... well, anything towards rachel. rachel is surrounded by walls, and she's very complex and hard to understand. but those specific and unique things are what i love about her. she has a heart of gold that doesn't deserve the hurt it receives. by now i had finally reached her apartment. i could hear music coming from behind her door. turning on the knob, to my surprise the door was unlocked. i stepped inside and made my way into the apartment and could already hear rachel coughing like crazy. i went into the kitchen, spent five minutes fixing her up some soup left out, and made my way towards her.

"hey rach." i smiled. "here."

"hey cal." she wheezed. "oh my god."

"take it easy." i smiled. "here, sit up."

"thanks." she said, followed by a cough. "i promise i'm not contagious!"

"i wouldn't care either way." i said and kissed her forehead. "we won the case."

"i'm proud of you cal." she smiled.

"i'm proud of you, never mind me." i stated. "this is all thanks to you. i'm not the one with the brains here, you are."

"let's just praise ana and call it a day, yeah?" she coughed. "i wanna lay down so bad! but i can't!"

"just close your eyes and relax." i smiled. "i'll be here when you wake up."

"i love you, cal."

"i love you too, princess."