[34]

calum's pov

hazel wanted to wear pyjamas this new year's eve, so that's what we did. hazel wore her unicorn one that luke got her for christmas, mali wore her zebra-print one, and i wore my orange pokémon one. i vow to never be seen in public like this.

"uncle cal!" hazel called. "mommy made nachos!"

"ooh!" i widened my eyes playfully. "say, haz, are you going to be able to stay up this year?"

"i think so." she giggled. "uncle cal? why aren't you with your friends?"

"because i wanted to spend the new year with you and your mum, my little monster." i tickled her. "come on, you said there were nachos?"

"you know cal, you're friends are more than welcome here, including your girlfriend." mali mentioned as she brought out the nachos platter.

"first of all, rachel isn't my girlfriend... yet." i pointed out. "only the love of my life. and two, she wanted me to spend tonight with you guys."

"that's very sweet." mali smiled. "now, hazel, why don't you go put a movie in?"

~

"happy new year!" we all cheered when the clock struck twelve.

"what's your resolution this year, haz?" my sister asks her daughter.

"umm... do better in school i guess?" she shrugs. "what about you, mommy?"

"to be a much better mum to you and better sister to your uncle." she smiles sadly at the little girl who managed to stay up. "cal?"

"yeah?" i say. "oh, right. um, to treat the people i love better."

"you guys need new resolutions." hazel rolls her eyes. "you guys are perfect."

"nobody's perfect, love." i laugh.

"well i think you're both doing great at what you're doing." hazel points out. "well, i mean, you're not talking about us though, are you uncle cal?"

the fuck?

"you're talking about miss rachel!" she pointed out.

"you're a smart cookie, hazel." i smiled. "i'm going to head home though, i'll see you both very son, my little family."

~

resolutions are more important to some people more than others. for me, this year was specifically important. i had to give my all to rachel, prove to her that i loved her as much as i claimed to. so even though it was one in the morning when i got home, it didn't mean i wasn't going to stop tonight. i changed into my normal black skinny jeans and this green sweatshirt that i owned and left my apartment.

first stop, lenny's.

when i got there, the place was clearing out, meaning rachel, luke, and everyone else had already gone.

second stop, the office.

now don't get me wrong, i love rachel, but i know her all too well, and even if i go check and she's not there, i wouldn't be surprised if she wound up there at some point. when i got there, rachel wasn't there, no one was.

third stop, rachel's.

when i arrived outside her apartment door, i could hear voices. voices i was able to identify, two of them only.

luke and rachel.

"luke, shut the fuck up!" rachel laughed.

"oww!" luke whined.

i never rang the doorbell, i just left and went home.