[32]

rachel's pov

to no one's surprise, i was already back in the office. a week later with a broken left wrist, and i was back in the office. thank god i was right handed.

"it's almost new year's eve people!" i shouted as i marched around the largest officepart of my building. "i want sales up by 3% by the time we're halfway through the trimester! let's move people! we have no time to waste!"

people were working and working and working. it was only just after lunch.

"work another hour and everyone can go home to their families and parties!" i smiled as the office cheered.

walking back to my office, i noticed a stressed hemmings sitting in my chair.

"what's up hemmo?" i nodded as i closed the door behind me.

"numbers." he yawned. "you're lucky you can pull off sweats at work."

"i'm lucky no one noticed but you." i laughed.

"and with a cast on your wrist too, look at you

"and with a cast on your wrist too, look at you." he smirked. "props to you, rach."

"yes hemmings, because your twisted necktie and pulled hair is any better." i shook my head. "go home, take a nap, be at lenny's for 9. i'll see you with the others tonight."

"thanks rach, love you." he smiled and packed up his briefcase.

"sure you do." i rolled my eyes playfully. "now get out of here. 2019 is only so far away."

~

calum was spending the night with his sister and hazel. i let him go off to spend time with his family, that was more important. he didn't need to be with me tonight, what he needed, and what i wanted, was for him to be happy. so i got ready to go out with my little squad and ring in the new year at lenny's.

"well don't you look just dashing!" ashton exaggerates as he finishes buttoning his black shirt

"as do you, handsome." i smiled. "come on, they're waiting and the cab's outside."

"smart lady." ashton laughs as we make our way to the front of the building. "sucks that you have a broken arm though."

"yeah, and if i hit you over the head with it there's a 2.5% chance i can literally crack your skull." i glared.

"you're funnier when your drunk." ashton sighs.

"shut up." i say as we pile into the cab. "lenny's. credit payment please."

we arrived at lenny's in a matter of minutes. per usual, we met up with michael, crystal, bella, anastasia, and luke on the second floor. more people had shown for the celebration of the new year, which left everyone dancing around with each other as the music played. i was sat alone at the table with luke while everyone danced.

"i'm going to get going, bye guys!" bella called as she ran out.

it may have only been 11 when she left, but then again, she was going to see liam, her boyfriend. that's what was important to her.

"i don't think i like ana anymore, or in that way that is." luke shrugged as he sipped at his beer. "besides, i think she and ashton are a thing anyway."

"it's alright lukey, we can be lonely together." i laughed. "i wasn't going to tear calum away from his family. they mean a lot to him, so we can hug each other and sing kumbaya tonight."

"for that to happen, i'd need to down at least 10 shots." luke laughed.

"oh come on." i tugged at his arm. "my songs are starting to play."

though as the songs played, i knew that calum wouldn't show up, and that's okay. we were like drugs and candy, i didn't want to give him up, but i need to let him be happy.