[27]

rachel's pov

"talk?" i laughed bitterly. "real funny, calum. luke, i'm going home!"

"bye rach!" luke called.

as i began to walk away, calum quickly caught up and attempted to tag along.

"what are you doing?" i asked as we reached my car.

"i'm following you." he stated.

"i really don't think you want to follow me right now." i shook my head. "really, i don't recommend following me to where i'm going right now."

"and where is it that you're going to which i am unable to attend?" calum quirks an eyebrow.

"my dad's house." i sighed. "you know, the one place i luckily wouldn't ever find you and my sister making out."

"rachel-"

"save it calum, what's done is done." i rolled my eyes, getting into my car and driving away.

taking a quick glance in my rear view mirror, i could see calum getting into his car and following me just a few cars behind. as i drove, a lot was on my mind. all of this pathetic drama, the lawsuits, my broken family in which i broke on my own. i was the cause for all of this. if it weren't for me, then we wouldn't be here in this mess right now. but by the fate of hell knows what, today was certainly not my day. my mind was filled with anxiety and rage, so much so that it caused me some very bad karma.

calum's pov

i was a good four or five cars behind her. i hadn't been to her house in quite a few years, however, it was for some stupid party kate wanted to host when her parents were out of town. as we drove, tension grew within the air. something was off, something was wrong. and that's when it happened, when everything stopped. my chest lightly bounced off of my steering wheel from the sudden stop. everyone on the road was suddenly stopped.

i pulled over and got out of my car to see what all of the commotion was for, but then i saw her. i saw her trapped and unconscious in her destroyed car, and the fact that she might not be breathing is what scared the shit out of me the most. because she couldn't die, not now, and certainly not anytime soon. because i needed her way more than she would ever need me. i didn't deserve her, but she was the only thing i craved. we were burning and crashing, and our romance was caught in the crash that was bound to explode at any given moment.