Chapter 3: A Regular Childhood

3rd Month of the Yumas Calendar

The sun is beating down on a field behind a large building, the Belcroft orphanage, young kids are playing around and having a great time not caring about responsibilities. A young black-haired child is laying on the field staring at a clear sky thinking about the past. A woman in their mid-thirties is seen yelling a the black haired child.

"Clover! I thought I told you to do the laundry for your dorm!" [Alicia]

"Yes, auntie Alicia..." [Clover]

"Geez and you're already eight years old, a person who doesn't work doesn't eat!" [Alicia]

"Have mercy on me auntie!" [Clover]

Clover immediately stands up from the field and jogs over to the laundry room to finish his assigned task, since he was the dorm overseer of the eight-year-olds and below, he has the responsibility to do the laundry and other such daily chores. Clover just happens to be the helper of the priestesses as well.

As Clover is jogging towards the laundry room he sees two girls struggling to bring over laundry.

"Hey Lucy, hey Hazel, do you need some help?" [Clover]

"No thanks Clover, we got this covered." [Lucy]

"Yes we, d-d-definitely got this covered." [Hazel]

Lucy and Hazel were the same ages as Clover, eight years old, and they were priestess apprentices of the church and orphanage.

It was apparent and obvious to Clover that they were struggling to carry that heavy load of laundry since they are very young and slim, they were charged with cleaning the female dorm laundry and other such tasks.

Clover decides to help anyway and walks over to the two girls to give them a hand.

"Oof, this is a pretty heavy load, but not too heavy." [Clover]

Clover effortlessly carries the basket of clothes that the two girls carried together, it did seem heavy to those two, but to Clover, it really wasn't. When Clover was finally able to walk at the tender age of one year old he began slow strength training, not enough to inhibit his growth, but enough to improve his physical ability. Reason being he wanted to be strong enough to fend for himself as soon as possible.

"Clovie! Hmph! I thought I told you we didn't need help!" [Lucy]

"Clover... Ummm... thanks for the help." [Hazel]

Lucy had a rambunctious behavioral set, blonde as she can possibly be, other children of the orphanage say that she is wild to the core and an animal in a human's body, but she still managed to keep it under control to become an apprentice. She can be a sweet girl on the inside and sometimes express it on the outside but, Clover feels like that is just a ruse to shock other children. Lucy enjoys the reactions of the other boys who have known her to be wild and then treat them sweetly.

On the other hand, there is Hazel the best friend of Lucy and the other priestess apprentice. She has a genuinely sweet personality but is very shy having a brunette twin braid hairstyle. She tags around with Lucy because most of the time all the other kids are afraid of Lucy. Hazel might come off as the ignoring type or the scared type, but in reality, she is just extremely shy. Once the other kids got to know her, they realized how much of a cutie she was.

Lucy and Hazel to the other boys of the orphanage are relatable to idols, or people you must protect. It's probably some innate thing. In the current state of social hierarchy, all the other boys have a hard time talking to these two but Clover.

"Don't worry about me, I would help you two anytime so I'm just forcing my assistance on you two. Besides, I'm heading over to the laundry room too, and did you really want to carry this heavy load all the way over" [Clover]

Clover in turn points over to the opposite side of the orphanage which just happens to be on the complete opposite side of where the dorm rooms are as well. Clover noticed this a while back and could've just been a design flaw but what can he do at this point so he just shrugged it off.

"Thanks, Clovie..." [Lucy]

"Thanks, Clover..." [Hazel]

Lucy and Hazel let down their heads as they realize that they lacked the strength to carry it all at once and they would require Clover's assistance in future time but, they didn't want to burden Clover with that responsibility, on top of taking care of his portion of the male dormitory.

"How about next time take the laundry in smaller portions, you don't need to bring it all at once. It might mean more trips but, then you can keep doing your job." [Clover]

"Ooooooo, that's right." [Hazel & Lucy]

"But, this time since I'm going the same way, I'll help you two out." [Clover]

"Okay!" [Hazel & Lucy]

Brilliant smiles erupted from their young faces which is a lot more fitting to see than their sad counterparts. Lucy and Hazel were innocent children whose smile should be sheltered from those who would otherwise disturb it. Clover also believes that a girl looks the prettiest when they smile.

The reason Clover believes a girl looks the prettiest when they smile is because he has never forgotten the smile Sicily made in their past life before the rift consumed them even if it has been eight years since then. It was indeed ingrained in Clover's memory.

Clover, Hazel, and Lucy all walk down the path towards the laundry room together. More kids interact and play around the halls of the orphanage. An older woman is watching the kids play making sure they don't get hurt. Hazel and Lucy walk up to her. 

"We are doing great! Right, Hazel?" [Lucy]

Lucy turns the conversation to the shy Hazel.

"Y-yes! We are doing great!" [Hazel]

"Yeah, after all, Clover here is helping us with carrying the laundry!" [Lucy]

Hazel looks at priestess Renner and nods hastily in a nervous fashion and then suddenly looks over to Clover. Clover and Hazel locked eyes. Hazel quickly looked away nervously.

Lucy is seen next to Hazel chuckling as if she's scheming and priestess Renner is looking at Hazel's blushing face and smiling.

"Ohoo, hoo, hoo, ooooh youth." [Renner]

Clover was wondering what did priestess Renner mean by that. After all Hazel was blushing very hard and on the verge of exploding from the whole conversation.

"Hazel, Lucy, don't we have a job to do?" [Clover]

Clover points at the laundry room, and motions for Lucy and Hazel to accompany him, Clover is still carrying the pile of laundry even as they were conversing so he just wanted to get it done.

Lucy and Hazel agree with Clover and say their farewells to priestess Renner, they then continue to walk over to the laundry room and proceed to do their daily task. The tasks for Clover ended rather quickly as he didn't have much to do other than laundry and make sure the other kids get ready for their daily meals, and since it was just right after lunch, he has some spare time to kill until dinner later tonight.

Clover left Lucy, and Hazel to do their apprenticeship duties. During this time, he would either head off into his room to study academics or head out into the forest near city using a secret passageway in the wall of the city. Though it was called a secret passageway it was just a small hole in the wall able to fit a teenager through it but, not an adult. This time he decided it was time to head out to the forest since it was the weekend his schooling by the priestesses would begin tomorrow again.