Chapter 12: Hired Help

8th Month of the Yumas Calendar

"Now do you know your place, Jason?" [Clover]

Clover showed a devilish smile.

"I did say I would let you guys go, but I didn't say I would keep you in one piece, perhaps I could cut off your arms?" [Clover]

Clover didn't actually want to do any of the stuff he's bluffing with. He actually found torture quite disgusting and awful, but he is capable of doing it to get information if push comes to shove. It would be a last resort though. In this case, it looks like he doesn't need to tread those waters.

"No, no. It's okay." [Lavris & Jason]

Lavris and Jason nodded their head, as they would try to live if they were given the option too. They didn't want to lose their limbs if they had the choice not too.

"We'll tell you everything that we know, we promise." [Lavris]

Lavris nudged and looked over at Jason.

"Yes! We will" [Jason]

Jason is still suffering from the after-effects of Clover's aura, but he should be fine after a little bit. Clover decided that he would wait on the fact in asking Jason any questions and proceeded with the half-assed interrogation with Lavris.

"So what was your mission?" [Clover?]

"To kidnap, the lady who embarrassed a vendor yesterday." [Lavris]

Clover shows a disappointed and intensely irritated face. He speculated that the target was Hazel yesterday, but he didn't want to be right. He knew that with the commotion Hazel caused that something bad would happen, with something good, there's always something bad going on. Two sides of the same coin.

Lavris noticed Clover face and winced. He didn't want to lie. Lavris was in no position to lie because he knew that if Clover sensed a hint of lying within his, he would have no mercy to resort to his earlier statement in cutting off limbs. Lavris determined that it would be the best for both of them, to tell the truth and live.

"Is there anyone else besides you?" [Clover]

"No, we were the only ones given this mission." [Lavris]

"I see... That's a relief." [Clover]

Clover was relieved at the fact that he didn't need to immediately look after Hazel, she should be safe in the orphanage anyway, especially with someone like auntie Alicia running the show.

"Why were you after that lady?" [Clover]

"That person haggled and bargain all of the Gilford Groups Merchants and thus caused a decrease in economic gain in the Gilford group, as I've been told." [Lavris]

"I see..." [Clover]

Clover is shocked at the reason why they would hunt Hazel. The fact that they would do this shows some slight corruption in the management of that group in this city, and the fact that they boosted the prices in the first place was just absurd. Clover thought to himself, 'Just because they lost money, they hunt Hazel..' However Clover goes back to questioning.

"So, who hired you?" [Clover]

"It wa-" [Lavris]

Jason nudged Lavris to stop talking. Jason finally recovered and was able to coherently talk and make decisions. When it comes to the situation he is in, Jason is well aware now what could happen to him and Lavris, so Jason didn't stop Lavris from talking out of ill intention. Jason just didn't want Lavris to answer all the questions. He wanted to his freedom too.