Chapter 5 - Forgiveness

Ruby

"No..."

Her soft trembling voice hangs on her wobbling bottom lip as she stares at the man she loves with all her heart, desperately wishing him not to be where he stands. Or her close friends as well, seeing Team J.N.P.R and Blake with him. Her heart pounds harder and harder as her eye becomes raw, red with tears welling up within it as she stands there. Her breath starting to hyperventilate as she staggers back from them, hearing the voices in the back of her mind getting worse.

You're gonna hurt 'em!

You're gonna kill 'em!

Stay away from them!

They'll die because of your failures!

"No...Stay away..." She whimpers fearfully of their safety, staggering away from them as she presses her hands to her head. Oscar slowly walks towards her, not in an intimidating way but in a very gentle way. She tries to run away, but she can't, she just shrivels up as he walks towards her, sensing her emotions forcing her away from the people she loves. Terrified that they will die because of her just as Taiyang did – in her eyes.

"Ruby...please come home." Oscar whispers affectionately as he walks towards her with his hands open to her, just wanting to her to come to her.

The others don't get involved for this part, because they know that only Oscar can really calm her down. But it hurts for all of them to see Ruby so scared of just being near them, feeling so certain that she is the one responsible for everyone that died by Umbra's hand. "Please Ruby..." Blake softly begs as she stands there with the others, all of them wanting her to come back with them.

"No! Stay away from me! I'll only bring you pain!" She yells as she steps back from Oscar, pointing at him with tears beginning to stream down her face. Her delicate voice croaks whenever she speaks, falling apart from her emotions that flow through her veins. Jaune looks around, making sure that there are no more Knights Bannermen around them, but it seems that the ones they caught Ruby destroying were the only ones.

"You could never bring us pain, Ruby." He assures as he walks towards her, but she shakes her head, the closer he gets she presses her hands to her head, letting out a cry of what sounds like pain. But it is her desperately trying to fight the voices and the delusions that are fed into her head by her Psychosis.

He'll die because of you!

Run away!

Don't run away, he loves you!

They will all die if you follow them!

Vir Nominis Umbra is right!

"No! They're right! Stay away from me!" She cries, sobbing now as she tries to run away, but Oscar catches her in his embrace. He wraps his arms around her and he rests his head by the side of hers, holding her close as she cries. She struggles, fighting to break free from him but she cannot – not because he is holding her tight – but because deep down she does not want to.

Finally...

She stops fighting her grief and she begins to sob uncontrollably, tears pouring from her silver eye as she stands there, hanging her head low. "It's okay, Ruby...and I am so sorry." He whispers to her, gently rocking her back and forth in his loving hug he has her in. It brings a tear to Nora's eye when she hears her crying like that, like any friend they just want to help her and stop her from crying.

"He's dead...because of me..." Ruby hiccups with sadness as she cries, her tears trickling down and dropping down into the soil and grass with a splash. Oscar just holds her close, his warm embrace helping her let out her tears...