Chapter 13

You knew Sarah?”

  My eyes widened when I saw an angry looking Aaroosa followed by a confused Waliyha bursting into my room like that.

  They must have seen that tweet as well and wanted answers but I couldn’t tell them everything or I would lose them. They were my only friends.

  My mind was racing with so many thoughts and scenarios of how bad this conversation would turn out if I told them why I lied to them about Sarah. They would never understand.

  Why couldn’t I move on from my past? Why did it always have to come back and haunt me?

  “Well?” Aaroosa snapped at me impatiently.

  “I-I,” My mind was racing so fast, I couldn’t even think of a lie to say. And the fact that Aaroosa was looking at me with her lips in a straight line and her eyebrows raised angrily like that wasn’t helping either.

  “What’s so hard to say? You either knew her or not?” Aaroosa snapped.

  “Yes.” I said without thinking and immediately regretted saying anything. They are going to hate me for sure.

  “Why did you lie, Maggie?” Waliyha was the one to ask. She was way calmer than Aaroosa but she was just as confused.

  “You guys wouldn’t understand anyways.” I sighed giving up on them. They would hate me and that was it. I would have to find somewhere to live now.

  “So you just lied?” Aaroosa snapped.

  “I didn’t want to lie, Okay? I just…It’s hard to explain.” I said feeling that stupid lump gathering again. I hate how weak I was.

  “Maggie, we are a family now. You can’t lie or hide things from us.” Waliyha was so calm that I began to relax a bit but I was dreading telling them anything. She was a bit like Zayn at that and I was thankful that Aaroosa didn’t come here alone or I would have burst out crying when she snapped at me.

  Thinking for a second, I realized Waliyha was right. I couldn’t hide this forever. After all they were my family in law. Even if I was clean with Zayn, they had the right to know as well.

  “Okay,” I paused, taking a deep breath, I mentally prayed they would be as understanding as Zayn when I tell them, “I did know Sarah before.”

  “We realize that now but why did you lie.” Aaroosa asked impatiently earning a warning stare from Waliyha telling her to cool it down.

  “I didn’t just know Sarah, we were best friends for a long time and as you both saw she isn’t the best kind of people to befriends but I didn’t realize that back then.”

  Aaroosa was about to interrupt me again but she suppressed herself when Waliyha gave her a stare so I continued on with my story.

  “I was different back then, with no guidance or control. So, to me Sarah was the coolest person ever and I saw nothing wrong with what we were doing.”

  “What were you doing?” Aaroosa couldn’t stop herself from asking.

  “Well, we partied. We drank, we smoked, we wore not that many clothes as you might have noticed. We just got around.” I sighed still embarrassed even just saying the words.

  “You were tramps.” Aaroosa said earning a hit from Waliyha.

  “What? They were!” She defended.

  “Yeah we were tramps on our good days but after a while Sarah went through some financial problems and started going to the dark side of this life.” I paused to take in their reaction but when they both were confused I explained a little more.