Chapter 28

"So you a werewolf?" I ask while walking beside Jake, Bella is walking ahead of us. We were walking along the beach. "Yeah, last time i checked. A few lucky members of the tribe have the gene. A bloodsucker moves into town and the fever sets in" Jake says as we catch up to Bella. "Mono?" I question making him laugh. "Yeah, i wish." He says looking around. "Well cant you find a way to just stop? I mean its wrong." Bella says making me look over at her in shock. "Its not a lifestyle choice Bella. I was born this way, I cant help it. You're such a hypocrite. What i'm not the right kind of monster for you?" Jake says stopping and turning around in front of us. "Its not what you are. Its what you do. They never hurt anybody. You killed people Jake." Bella tells him making me look down. "Bella, we're not killing anyone." Jake says sounding angry. "Then, who is?" Bella questions. "What we're trying to protect you people from, the one thing we do kill, Vampires." Jake says walking closer to us. "Jake, you cant" Bella says sounding nervous. "Don't worry we cant touch your precious Cullens. Unless they violate the treaty." Jake says annoyed. "That's not what i'm saying. You cant kill vampires Jake. They'll kill you" Jake looks over at her with a funny look on his face and says "Really? We took out that leech with the dreads easy enough."

"Laurent?" I ask and  look over at him confused. Laurent was back? Why would they kill him? "Yeah and his redhead girlfriend is next." Jake says sounding determined. "Victoria is here?" I ask looking over at Bella worried. Why is she back? "Was. We chased her all the way to the Canadian border the other night. But she keeps coming back, We don't know what shes after." Jake says making me look down. "I do." Bella says pausing for a minute and nodding "Me." Bella says looking down.

******************************************************************

"Don't worry, We've got this place covered. She wont get near you guys or Charlie." Jake says to us while wrapping his arm around me, pulling me into a side hug. "Just be careful okay. She fast, you don't know, how fast she is." Bella says making Jake sigh "You know, your lack of confidence in us is a little insulting." Jake says before looking down. "Alright, i better go.I got vampires to kill." He says slowly backing away. I shake my head at him before turning away and walk into the house.

Going to sleep that night was a challenge. So instead i was sitting in my chair by the window. I look out into the woods. My eyes catch something sliver and furry. I stare at it for a little while longer before i lean my head on my hand and slowly fall asleep right then and there.

********************************************************************

"Things have been pretty steady lately. I think Bella's been lonely though. Jacobs gone, hes hunting Victoria and dad's busy, hunting Jacob. I'm always here for her but it just seems like that doesn't matter to her. I don't know what to do to help her. I've tried everything but i guess she just rather be alone. In other news, Victoria's back. Also werewolf's are a thing now. I don't know if you knew that but yea they are. They killed Laurent because he tried to kill Bella. Apparently Victoria sent him. Ugh, Things are just cray cray now."

*******************************************************************

The next day, i decided to go see Emily, i know we only met once but she did tell me i could come over whenever. Bella dropped me off, she said she was going somewhere but wouldn't tell me where exactly. I just told her to make sure she had her phone on and to call if anything was wrong.

I sigh looking up at the house before i finally work up the courage to walk up the steps and knock on the door. "Becca! Its so nice to see you again." Emily Exclaims while opening the door and pulling me into a hug. I smile wide before saying "Its nice to see you too, Emily. I hope you don't mind me coming over. I just-"  Emily stops me and says "Of course i don't mind. Your welcome here anytime. I never really have any girl company over so you don't understand how happy i am that your here." She pulls me in the house and over to the kitchen. We sit down at the table and talk for a while before she asks if i would want to help her bake something.

Halfway into the process of making muffins, we hear some noise coming from outside. I look over at the door to see Sam, Jared, Embry and Paul walking in. I make eye contact with Paul who has the most beautiful smile on his face. And It felt like time was suddenly frozen. He has these beautiful brown eyes. It was like looking into a forest. In Deep into the heart of  that forest with a nice log cabin. A warm fire and the smell of pine running through the cabin. Safe. It felt like i could stare into his eyes all day and always feel safe.

"Hey Guys, you hungry?" I hear Emily say to the guys,causing me to come out of the frozen paradise i was in. I quickly look down at the mixing bowl in front of me and bite my lip. What just happened? And why do i have this bubbly feeling in my stomach? Is it hot in here all of a sudden? I look up and glance over at Paul and am surprised to see him still looking at me. I guess Jared also noticed because next second later he elbows Paul in the stomach.

"Ow!" Paul says looking away from me and glares at Jared. Emily walks over to me and takes the bowl away from me. I smile at her before turning around and grab a pan to put the batter in. Emily, obviously way ahead of me, grabs her pan and puts it in the oven and sets a timer. I look over to see Paul now looking down at the ground while Jared, Embry and Sam were in a conversation. Emily and i begin to talk while we wait for the muffins to finish. She asks me about school and i ask her about other things she bakes. We even plan on me coming over another day so she can teach me some other recipes. I smile and look down. My mind keeps shifting back to Paul.... Something tells me this isn't going to be the last time i see him.