The Deal

Alex and Chara froze at the sight of Winter staring at them with a stoic glower on her face and her arms behind her back. Accompanying her were two Atlas soldiers dressed in a similar white uniform, both of them holding rifles that aimed at the girls. Alex couldn't believe it. She had one job and that was to keep Chara out of the eyes of Atlas. But, no. She just had to bring her to the balcony of Strange Coliseum. Her result, getting spotted by Winter Schnee. Oh, what a day...

Standing up from the balcony's cold metal floor with Chara repeating her actions, Alex stood firmly on the ground. The young Mimic hid behind her to evade the eyes of the Atlas specialist. It wasn't effective, for the snowy-haired woman already knew she was there.

"I see you have found her for us," Winter said in a somewhat monotone voice. "Now, all we have to do is take her back to your base and we wouldn't have to bother you for the rest of the evening."

"Winter, you don't understand," Alex began, but...

"No, nor do I care."

"Winter, please listen," The blue-haired girl firmly said before sighing. "Chara only came here because she wants her memories back. She thinks Frisk is the only one who knows about her past. That's why she escaped the Delta Base in the first place."

"Trust me," The woman replied. "We figured ages ago. Now, give us the girl, Alexandra."

"And what will you do if I do that?" Alex asked, raising an eyebrow.

"That will be none of your concern." Winter remained stoic.

"That is absolutely my concern, lady. Heck, do you even know who you're talking to?" The teenager shrugged before gesturing at herself.

The soldiers behind the specialist were about to fire before Winter held up her hand, signaling them to hold it. "What are you trying to put down, girl?"

"You are literally negotiating with a human girl who happens to be a Youth Member from Delta," Alex said with a smirk. "In fact, one of the first five humans ever to join an organization that started so small until humans and Strange Ones began to live with each other. Atlas is part of Delta's coalition, right? That means we're best friends."

"Technically, we're colleagues," Winter remarked.

"Pfft. What's the difference?" She rolled her eyes.

The snowy-haired woman raised an eyebrow of confusion at Alex. The two Atlas soldiers behind here were evidently wearing the same expression, which was hidden behind their helmets. They even looked at each other, letting out puzzled hums. Winter could only stare at the sky-haired youth before opening her mouth to speak again.

"I don't have time for your smug mind games, young lady. I have no intentions of playing with you. Now, I will say it one last time. Give us the girl and we'll leave you alone."

"I dunno. Let me think," Alex aimed her eyes to the sky. Then, she snapped her fingers. "Got it! Maybe I'll ask Chara if she wants to come with you guys, how about that?"

Now, what are you playing? Winter thought suspiciously as she watched the teenager turn her head around.

Upon looking down at Chara, she was met by a fearful face that immediately told her, "No! I don't want to go back!" Alex quickly took it as an answer and wanted to find a way to reassure her. A way to convince her that everything will be okay. But, how?

"I'm waiting..." The specialist said as her patience wore thin.

After a lot of thinking, a lightbulb sparked in her head. Winter is an Atlas specialist and the military she is working at is associated with Delta. If Alex could persuade her into solving these unexpected and unfathomable mysteries, then they can finally know what's going on! It had to work!

"Winter," Alex finally said. "I want to make a deal with you."

"A deal?" Winter repeated, raising an eyebrow.

"I will give Chara to you on one condition."

"Alex!" Chara gasped quietly, but she got a wink from her.

"And what will that be?" The snowy-haired Mimic asked.

"You must help me and my friends with something," Alex explained. "Honestly, none of us have no idea what's going on, but it's bad."

Despite her skepticism, Winter nodded. "I'm listening."

"Okay, hear me out. There is this guy named Nox going around the coliseum attacking random people. The kids even believe that Romeo is being held against his will and his intern is rumored to be a cold-blooded killer working with the Dark Ones."

The Atlas specialist's eyes widen, her icy expression softening. "What's in it for me?"

"Since Atlas is working with Delta, only you can help us. We need someone smart and skilled like you to assist us in dealing with all of these situations. We need to capture Nox and Harumi. They could be up to something, but we need to know what."

"And if I help you with that, you will give me the girl?" Winter asked.

"That's up for Chara to decide." Alex turned her head back at the young girl. "But she can't choose now. I can tell she's overwhelmed with all of this."

With a sharp inhale, Chara clung on to the teenager's jacket tightly. Her crimson eyes were filled with fear and anxiety and her face was turning pale. She was scared, Alex figured. Luckily, she was successful in comforting her by placing a hand on top of her head. As she slowly rubbed her head, she whispered comforting words.

"How do I know you're not trying to deceive me?" Winter asked, revealing her skepticism.

"We have an alliance, Winter. Under the employment of Asgore and Toriel Dreemurr, I will never show any signs of deceit, even to you." The blue-haired teenager looked back at the woman.

The Atlas specialist raised her eyebrow again, scanning the girl carefully. She didn't know if Alex was actually making a deal, becoming vigilant. However, she wasn't wrong. After all, Atlas is part of Delta's coalition. Under Ironwood's command, Winter couldn't bring herself to break the alliance with one of the most heroic systems in the world. Doing that would bring chaos and she knew that. In addition, she would be resented by Weiss if Winter were to shatter such a salient connection by attacking one of Delta's Youth Members. That was an impulse she instinctively held back.

Nodding, Winter said, "Fair enough. Take me to your friends and I will help you."

Alex nodded before turning around, pumping her fist as she thought, Nailed it!