James Potter x Reader: Getting Out of Trouble

"James STOP!" You yelled as James hung you upside down by your feet. 

The boys below you snickered. Your eyes and throat stung from holding back tears. "James..." Remus gave James a look. 

"Fine." James dropped the jinx and you plunged into the water. 

James pov

I gasped as Y/n dropped into the water. She couldn't swim! I quickly stripped off my shirt and dived in after her. 

"James!" Remus called after me, but it was too late I was already under the murky water swimming toward where Y/n had fallen in. 

Blindly, I swam around, feeling in front of me for her, when finally my foot nudged her arm. My lungs burned but it was too late to give up now. I dove further down and grabbed her waist, holding onto her tightly. With one arm, I held her, the other propelled me upwards. Seaweed tore at my feet and I pushed Y/n up towards the top. 

Your pov

You gasped a breath, coughing as Remus and Sirius each took an arm, you spit water. What was wrong with these boys?! Nearly killing you just so James could come up a hero. James-where was he. 

"Where's James?" You asked between gasping breaths. 

Sirius and Remus glanced at each other and then at the water. "Still down there." Sirius said, fear in his eyes. 

You took your wand off of the ground beside Sirius. "Accio James." You pointed it at the water and focused on James shooting upward. 

He did, so high that he hit his head on the tree before speeding towards you and crashing into you. Grindilows were caught on his ankles. You flipped him off of you and took the water from his lungs with your wand. James gulped air as his eyes flipped open and he stared at you above him. Professor McGonnagall stormed out of the castle followed by Peter, looks like he ratted his friends out. 

"L/n, Potter. My office now." 

Remus helped you up and Sirius helped James. They guided the two of you to Professor McGonnagall's office. "Good luck, we'll meet you at the common room." Sirius said and he left the still pale James with you in her office. 

"Mr. Potter. Were you or were you not dangling Ms. L/n above water?" 

James was blushing furiously. "I-yes I was."

"And were you or were you not aware that she is unable to swim?" 

"I knew that." He said with an apologetic glance at you. 

"So, do you think you should be punished severely, maybe even expelled?" She asked furiously. 

James was surprised, he'd never been expelled before, he was at a loss for words. 

Next you did something that surprised you even more, you stood up for your bully. "Please don't expel him professor. He saved me. He didn't know I would fall, he was just having fun." 

Professor turned her gaze to you, surprised, "Ms. L/n, surely it wasn't fun for you." 

"Please, I'm fine now. I'm sure he won't do it again. I'll keep in out of trouble." She pondered you and you looked over at James with a sad smile, he was staring at you agape. 

"James could use to be more like you." Her eyes lit up as an idea hit you. "I know." She pulled out her wand. "Nectendam Disseminari." You felt cold metal on your left wrist, binding you to James' right one. "The two of you will be attached until James learns his limits. They will magically unbind when he learns his lesson. But keep in mind, Y/n, you also have a lesson to learn. I expect all Gryffindors to get along." Then she walked out, leaving you and James staring dumb-founded at the handcuffs.