James Sirius Potter x Reader: The Story of The Stag

James' pov

Having your father as a teacher isn't exactly all that great. It meant he can go harder on you, call you out all the time and you can't mess around nearly as much. It's Defense Against the Dark Arts right now, Fred and I were walking to class when she walked by us. 

Y/n Longbottom. I whistled at her and she scoffed at me. There are three Longbottom girls, she's the only one who would dare scoff at me, at anyone at that matter. Alice and Lucy are too shy and nice. Y/n however, was the only girl in the school it seemed that didn't fall at my feet or at least talk to me besides my cousins of course. 

She sat in front of Fred and I. "Hello everyone." My dad said. "The next few weeks we are going to be working on how to produce a patronus." He explained. "We'll start with a little story, a little background on them." 

"This goes back to my father's patronus. It was a stag." I'd heard this story over and over again. Not just because of how Grandpa James' patronus was a perfect match to Grandma Lily's, but also because of how Severus' patronus became a doe. "Let me first say that you have to reach a very happy memory to create a patronus, a happy and strong memory. Anyways, his patronus was a stag and my mother's patronus was a doe. You see, their memories were connected. Your patronus depends on what kind of memory you produce, but when your patronus has been produced, there's no way to change it. Remember you have to be confident in your memory to produce a strong patronus, and no one will be able to do this first try." Of course he left out the part about Snape, he'll probably teach it at the end of the lesson. 

Everyone waited in silence, then Y/n's hand flew up. Dad smiled, he always liked her. "Yes Y/n?" 

"So the way to produce a patronus is to think of a happy memory right?" 

Dad thought about it then nodded, "Yes that's right." 

"Well then, what's the point?" 

He smiled, "You're the first student to ever ask me that. The point is that it scares away dementors, the embodiments of fear." 

She nodded, "Thank you Professor Potter." 

"Alright, we're going to a special place that I only recently discovered. Come with me." The whole class followed him up to the 7th floor. 

As soon as we were up there, huge double oak doors appeared before us. "The room of requirement." Y/n whispered. 

"Wow, Y/n, you're so smart." I complimented, she rolled her eyes and walked in behind my father. 

Normal pov

James Potter was always messing with you. He'd been messing with you since 1st year when he found out you were nothing like Alice. Today you would learn the patronus charm. Your father, Neville could only produce a non-corporeal patronus, which means his patronus never took the form of an animal and was simply a blast of light. Secretly, you hoped my patronus would be corporeal, but you didn't want to hurt your father's feelings. 

Professor Potter held out his wand. "Everyone will say the incantation, expecto patronum." He said. 

Everyone took out their wands and said it. "Is there a hand motion professor?" You asked. 

He smiled and shook his head, "Nope, just think and focus on a happy memory when you say it." 

She nodded, everyone focused and there was muttering of incantations and lots of students trying really hard to think of a happy memory. You thought of the first time you saw the bright red Hogwarts Express. It was yours and Alice's first time seeing it. You ran up to it and hopped right in, Alice clung to Neville and Hannah. "C'mon Ali!"