Chapter 34: New Years

Day before New Years Eve, 1984

I was currently making breakfast for Mark. He's leaving New Years morning to go back to recording. Mark'll be in California for about a month, I think, maybe more, maybe less. I've asked him but he tells me he doesn't know.

My cheek is heeling better, I've gained a little weight, not much but I've gained a little. Something in me feels as if I've developed an eating disorder. Mark pointed this out accouple days ago but I don't want to believe it. 

"Seven-thirty already." I whispered glancing at the clock. It's been an hour and a half sense I have been up and cooking. 

In the midst of my thinking and cooking, a shuffling sound came from behind me. Warm arms wrapped around my waist. "Good morning." Mark whispered in my ear, his voice had that rough, morning tiredness to it.

"Good morning." I smiled up at him. He lowered his head down onto my shoulder. "Making me food this morning I see." He observed, gazing over the freshly cooked bacon, eggs and grits with fruit in it. "Why did you put fruit in grits?" Mark asked.

"Decided to go healthy today, new years resolution." I laughed. In reality, I had no idea why I stuck fruit in the grits. Mark's gonna be in for a bigger surprise when he eats the bacon, I cooked it in syrup. The strange stuff I do.

Slowly, I moved to the counter. Mark lazily followed, his arms were still around me. I poured the grits into a bowl and through bacon and eggs on a plate. "Here."  My hand held out the plate for Mark to take.

He let go of me and walked to the table. I followed with a bowl and plate of my own. "Why is the bacon sticky." Mark complained. His fingers mushed together and slowly came apart as he demonstrated the stickiness. 

"Take a bite and find out." He gave me the, 'What did you poison this with.' Look. "Eat it you idiot." I laughed.

As expected, his eyebrows raised when he bit into the meat. "It was cooked in syrup." I stated with a laugh. "Your strange." Mark mumbled, shaking his head sarcastically.

"I know." A happy grin spread across my face. We quickly finished eating and i headed upstairs to change. A strange feeling washed over me, a feeling like something was gonna happen today.

"Lissa!" Mark called from the living-room. "Yes." I yelled back as I put on my black jeans that were ripped in a way that looked like tiger stripes. "Do you mind going to my fathers with me, he just called and said that mother was home?" His voice got louder as he talked, I could tell he was walking up the stairs.

I hurriedly slid my Black Sabbath Mob Rules, shirt on. I don't know why but Mark didn't really like Black Sabbath that much, he always got kinda annoyed when I would talk about them. But I knew I would soon break him into liking that band, anyone who is around me is gonna like that band.

I tucked the shirt in and quickly brushed my kinda dark/chocolaty brown hair, that only made it poof out. "Sure." I turned around, as expected, Mark was leaning on the door frame.   

"When do we leave?" My feet naturally took me over to him. An almost satisfied smile appeared on Marks lips as I leaned into him. "Now." He responded.

I laughed a little. We walked down the stairs, well, more like he walked and I ran. Mark grabbed his keys and followed me outside. The second I felt the cool winter air touch my bare arms I realized that I was missing my jacket.

My breath was visible in the air, it's got to be bellow freezing. The sound of Mark locking the door filled the air with the keys jingles.

"Here." Mark said as he came up behind me. He held something out and I recognized it as my jacket. "Thanks Mark." I thanked him.