Chapter 37: Another year closer to death, Happy Birthday Mark

April 2, 1985

I was up in the morning, doing nothing but sitting down drinking coffee. Mark was asleep, I don't blame him, he was probably jet lagged. I picked him up from the air-port last night around ten. He already had bags under his eyes from lack of sleep so I just let him sleep in this morning instead of waking him.

I looked around the kitchen until something caught my eye. A calendar. I looked at the dates and something hit me. Mark's birthday is coming up, April twelfth. He's gonna be twenty-three.

An idea came to mind. I rushed up the stairs, and into the bedroom. Being quiet so I didn't disturb Mark. I changed into ripped, black jeans and a shirt that had a guitar on it and said 'Rock N' Roll.'

After that, I grabbed my shoes then ran back down the stairs. Once finding a pen and paper, I wrote

Hey Mark, I'm going' out for a little bit so if you wake up in time to see this, there's food in the fridge. I'll be back around eleven, bye.  

I through the note on the counter then grabbed his car key's and ran out of the house to his car. I got in and drove off to the nearest store. 

Once I got in there, I grabbed accouple of random things then went to check out. Something caught my in the check out line, a magazine. The front of it had a picture of Carmine on it, the head line read, 'Ex-Vanilla Fudge drummer decide's to modernize his style in a new band after touring with Ozzy Osbourne and Motley Crue, Open to find out more.'

I quickly grabbed the magazine, opening it up to skim through it, I decided to buy it and look at it later. So, I bought it along with other stuff. I got back in the car and drove back to the house. 

By the time I got out it was around eleven o'clock. I walked inside to see Mark sitting down at the table, drinking coffee. He was looking at the note.

He then glanced up to see me. I smiled at him then quickly through the bag I had in a closet so he couldn't see what I got.

"Where did you go?" He questioned. "Out." I answered, sarcastically. "Where." He rolled his eyes. I sat down in the chair next to his and laughed. "Your birthday is coming up, I went out and got you stuff so I didn't have to do it last minute." I explained.

"Oh yeah, thanks then." Mark grinned and pulled my chair closer to his. The action surprised me and I let out a very high pitched sound. That caused him to laugh and my face to go a bright shade of red.

April 12, 1985

The very beginning of the morning light started to shower in through the window. I kicked the cover's off of me, it was burning up.

"Uh, it's hot in here, so what do you do. You throw cover's on me." Mark groaned from next to me. He flipped over to face me. My eyes shot open to see him covered in sheets and covers. I stifled a laugh as I helped him push them off.

Mark wrapped an arm under my back and pulled me closer to him, my head rested on the top of his bare chest. "Do you feel older." I whispered. "Yep, another year closer to death." He buried his face in to the top of my head.

His other arm wrapped around me. "Mmm, it's been so long sense I've held you. I can't believe I've been away for so long, more then two months." Mark mumbled into my bed hair. "Off-subject." I quietly laughed. His grip on me got tighter, making me feel secure.

"Do you want to go out and eat for breakfast." He asked. "Why ask me, it's your birthday, you do what you want to do." I replied. "Yeah but, I want to do what you want to do." 

"Aww, your to good for me." I watched him. He just stared at me. "Other way around." Mark mumbled. "Yeah, and were not even together on top of that." I rolled off the bed standing up.