43

Jessi's POV

__________

We went out again, but this time Nash didn't tweet about it. It was nice peaceful afternoon, and Cameron was in a good mood.

"Charlie, do you not go to school?" I asked, we haven't even discussed her life, actually I haven't even bothered to ask.

"Oh, I graduated, and I'm still debating on whether I want to attended college here I'm LA or in New York at the NYU. My mom lives here, so I'm just staying with her. I told her I wouldn't be home in a few days." She giggled, stuffing her food into her mouth.

I nodded, "that's cool, I live in New York. That's where Cam and I met." I evilly grinned at him.

The day his fans were shoving me I was so pissed, but now I'm happy they did.

"Wait, I thought you lived here?" She knitted her eyebrows, not taking her eyes away from me.

"I- I'm just visiting." I awkwardly said, not wanting to mention the fact that I'll actually be leaving sooner or later.

"Or maybe if things work out she'll stay." Cameron added, but I didn't say anything. He grabbed my hand from under the table, giving it a tight squeeze.

"Oh." Charlie smiled.

I was going to ask more about her, but an unknown number was calling my phone. I answered, holding my phone against my ear.

"Hello?" I asked, curious of who was going to be speaking to me.

"Hi, is this Jessi Carmack?" A girl asked, and I don't know it I want to say yes or not. What if it's a fan that will give my number out.

"Why?" I chose to ask first, maybe they'll tell me why they need me.

"Please answer the question, ma'am." She elegantly said, her voice breaking at the end.

"Yes, this is Jessi. Who is this?" I asked, turning away from the table. I held the phone tighter to my ear.

"This is officer Kesey Derrick. Are you the daughter of Mary Daulton?"

"Carmack." I stated.

"What, ma'am?" The 'officer' said.

"Her name is Mary Carmack." I stated again, not really caring about the subject of my mother.

"My apologies, her name is written here as Mary Daulton." I heard the shuffling of papers over the phone.

"Would you please just tell me what you're calling for?" I asked, turning back to look at Cameron. I'm glad they weren't paying attention to me. They were laughing at something the waiter was doing.

"Jessi, your mother OD'd this morning, the neighbors found her on the living room couch. I-"

"She what?" I gulped, my voice sounding like I've smoked for years. I couldn't tell you at the moment how I felt, because honestly I felt trapped in my thoughts, paralyzed. I could move, and I sure as in hell couldn't find the words to say.

"Jessi," the woman softly said, "I'm sorry for your loss."

"I think you've got the wrong number, my mom didn't-"

"Mary Carmack." I heard the damn papers shuffling on the speaker.

My breathing increased, my chest raising up and down. I hated my mother, I hated every bit of the evil excuse of a woman.

But now, hearing this over a damn phone call, I hate myself for being so hatred towards someone. Especially my mother.

"Mary Carmack." I whispered, trying to wake up from this nightmare that I refer to as reality.

"The funeral will be held this friday, I'll have someone call and give you the details of where it'll be held at. Again, I'm sorry for your loss Ms. Carmack."

I hung the phone up, standing from my seat. The tears spilt from my already tearful eyes, and I couldn't breathe at this point.

"Jessi?" Cameron's soft voice echoed through the restaurant, but I didn't turn around or even bother telling him.

I couldn't tell him, I could say the words of my mothers death.

"Hey." He whispered, stopping me from wherever the hell I was going.

He looked me up and down, mainly at my racing chest and red face.

"What is it?" His voice kept echoing, and it was getting hard to understand.

"Jessi?" I felt as if he was screaming, but his facial expression was so soft.

"Stop." I shook my head and covered my ears, and boy did he look confused.

And that's all I could remember that day.