1

Patton's hooves clicked against the stone floor of his home. It had been a pretty quiet day, only a few mer-kiddos came by to say hello. Not that he was complaining, as social as Patton was, he did enjoy his peace.

The kettle whistled and Patton poured the water into a mug to make hot chocolate. The fawn walked out to his backyard to watch the sunset over the ocean. Patton sat at the edge of the mer-person pool, a place where mer-folk could swim up for help, or just to chat.

Patton dipped his hooves in the water,  watching the ripples reflect the orange-yellow of the sunset. He took a sip of his hot chocolate and closed his eyes with a small smile.

A loud bang shattered the tranquility.

Patton jumped with a small yelp, almost dropping his chocolaty drink. There was a splash not too far out in the ocean

Patton took a deep breath before his mind started spinning out of control. It was just coincidence. A mer-person got startled and made a splash, it was fine.

Patton got up and placed his mug in the sink. It was starting to get late, so Patton decided to head to his room.

"Patton?" Someone whispered from the mer-pool.

The fawn turned to see two figures in the water, "Logan?"

"Patton," the merman said, "he needs help."

Patton hurried over. Logan was struggling to hold a man with black and purple wings above the water. Patton gasped and pulled the man out of the water.

"What happened?!" The fawn asked.

Logan shook his head, splattering water droplets everywhere, "He fell into the ocean, I think he was already unconscious, his wing was bleeding a-and I couldn't help but smell it..."

"It's okay Logan."  Patton said, "I know you have a hard time controlling that."

Logan sighed and looked away. Patton frowned.

"So his wing was hurt?" Patton asked, "which one?"

"Um, the right one." Logan replied.

"Okay, I'll get him patched up." Patton said, "you're welcome to come in if you want."

Logan nodded and unclasped the bracelet from his necklace. He attached it around his wrist and there was a flash of blue light. Logan climbed out of the water, now with a pair of human looking legs.

He walked into Patton's house, a little wobbly but he made it. The merman silently thanked the fact that the charm included clothes when he transformed, even if the dark blue jeans and the black shirt did feel I bit weird.

Patton looked up from the strangers bandaged wing, "I think he's gonna make it, it doesn't seem too bad."

"That's good." Logan said, curling up on the couch.

"Do you know what he is?" Patton asked, "I've never seen someone like him."

Logan sighed, "I believe he is an Garuda. I thought them to be extinct until now."

Patton nodded, "his wings are really pretty, and soft."

The fawn ran a hand over the strangers sleek feathers again. The Garuda's wings twitched and he started coughing.

"Hey kiddo, it's okay." Patton said calmly, rubbing the space between his wings.

The Garuda rolled to his side and slowly sat up.

"Are you okay kiddo?" Patton asked.

The stranger nodded and coughed a few more times, "m-my wing..."

"I already patched it up." Patton said, "I suggest you take it easy for a while, it looked like it was caused by a... gun..."

Logan gasped, "Patton, are you sure?"

"I know what a bullet wound looks like Logan." Patton said quietly.

"U-um, I can leave..." The Garuda said.

"No!" Patton yelled, "you're gonna stay  here for a little while. I heard the gunshot, the human might still be close by."

"O-okay." The stranger said, folding his wings as best he could.

"Anyway, what's your name kiddo?" Patton asked.

"V-virgil." He said, quickly adding, "But you can call me Virge."

"Nice to meet you Virge," the fawn smiled, "I'm Patton. I'm a fawn. Over there is Logan. He may not look like it right now but he's a merman."

"H-hi." Virgil said quietly.

"It is a pleasure to meet you as well." Logan nodded.

Virgil nodded yawned, rubbing his eyes tiredly.

"Are you tired kiddo?" Patton asked, "I have a spare bedroom you can stay in."

Virgil nodded again, "Thank you Patton."

The fawn helped the Garuda to the guest room, making sure Virgil was asleep before going back to Logan.

"Hey Logan." Patton said, his hooves clicking nervously on the stone floor, "it's getting pretty late, if you wanna go home I understand."

"It's 'want to' Patton." Logan told him, "and if you don't mind, I'll stay in the pool."

"I don't mind at all." Patton said, "you should know this by now."

Logan chuckled lightly, "yeah, I really should."

Patton giggled, "alright, goodnight Logan."

"Goodnight Patton." Logan said, standing up and walking to the mer-pool.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door, causing both the merman and the fawn to freeze.