22

T.W.: blood

Patton tossed and turned in his bed, unable to sleep. He kept remembering  the night the hunter shot him. The night someone died in front of him. The night he almost died.

Patton shuddered. He got up, as it was nearly morning anyway, and began to check on everyone. The fawn started with Deceit and Logan. Deceit insisted he slept outside in a tree due to him being a common tree snake. (Picture at top.) Everyone was okay with that so the Naga curled up in the highest tree in Romans yard.

Patton quietly opened the back door. Through the dim light of early dawn,  he saw a black and yellow tail hanging down from the branches and the soft glow of Logan's bioluminecent swirls from the pool. Patton sighed softly and went back inside. He went down the hall to where Roman and Virgil shared a room. The fawn opened the door slightly to see them both fast asleep. Virgil's wings were draped over Roman's back, protectively curling around both of them.

Patton closed the door and went to the kitchen, letting out a whining Remy along the way. He giggled at the energetic brown puppy. Patton smiled and started cooking breakfast.

Remy started whining for food, stomping his paws and barking quietly when Patton ignored him. The puppy soon threw a tantrum, rolling on the ground, barking and whining at the fawn. Patton giggled and grabbed a piece of bacon.

"Alright. Sit." Patton said, holding up the food.

Remy immediately rolled to his feet, his eyes fixed on the bacon, and sat.

"Now gentle." Patton commanded, handing over the bacon.

Remy jumped up and grabbed it from Patton's hand in a slightly less aggressive way than usual. Patton giggled and went back to cooking.

Moments later, a loud gunshot echoed through the air.

Patton screamed and dropped the pat that was heating for pancakes. He fell to the floor against the cupboards as memories flashed through his head. 

Patton heard a scream just before the bang. He fell to the ground with a yell of his own. Patton gripped his leg, the once golden-brown fur stained red with his blood. He heard running footsteps. The fawn tried to run, but the pain was too much.

"What the hell!?" A voice yelled.

Patton looked up through the tears in his eyes. A human. Behind him, a child with tears in his wide eyes and a red mark on his cheek.

The man pointed the gun again. A blur of black and yellow scales. Screaming. The man dropped to the ground and the boy ran.

A face appeared in Patton's blurred vision, "My name is Deceit."

"W-what did you d-do?"?  Patton sobbed over the screams.

"Shh, it's okay, you're safe." Deceit smiled, petting Patton's hair, "humans are dangerous and evil, I saved you and removed a human from this earth."

Patton started shaking from fear and pain, his vision starting to fade out. He heard a shout and Deceit ran- or slithered- away. A few moments later, Logan's face appeared above him.

"Patton! Patt, can you hear me!?" Logan yelled in panic, holding the bleeding fawn, "Patton!"

Patton looked up and saw Logan kneeling in front of him. Remy was behind him stealing eggs and bacon off the counter. Deceit was hovering by the door. Roman and Virgil were running out of the hallway.

"Patton?" Logan asked, offering his hand.

Patton launched himself at Logan, burying his face in the merman's shoulder. Logan held onto the fawn, letting him cry.

"Are you okay Patt?" Logan asked.

Patton shook his head, "I-I got sc-scared."

"Its okay Patt," Logan comforted, "you're okay now."

Logan picked up the fawn and carried him to his room. Patton curled into his boyfriends chest, trying to calm down from the scare.

"Patton?" Logan whispered.

"I-I'm sorry Lo, t-the gunsh-shot- I-I-" Patton stumbled over his words.

"Shh, it's okay, I'm here." Logan started running the fawns back.

Patton took a deep breath and rested his head on Logan's shoulder, "Please don't leave me?"

Logan combed his fingers through Patton's soft hair, "I won't leave you Patt, I promise."