7

Logan sat outside, looking out over the sea when a ripple in the mer-pool caught his eye. A person rose out of the water, their left side covered in greenish-yellow scales.

"Hello, so nice to see you." The person said, hissing slightly on the s's.

"Do I know you?" Logan asked, setting down his book.

"Oh, not at all." The person said, heaving themselves out of the water.

Logan's eyes widened, "you're a Naga."

The Naga smiled, slithering forward slightly, "in the scales."

Logan nodded and looked down at his book before looking back at the Naga, "Deceit I presume?"

The Naga's smile grew, "So smart."

Logan sighed, "why are you here? I'm sure Virgil would love to kill you."

"Oh I'm well aware." Deceit grimaced.

Then he smirked. His tail wrapped around Logan's wrist with the strength of a boa constrictor. Deceit laughed at Logan's panic, covering his mouth before he could scream. He snapped off Logan's bracelet, throwing it off somewhere. The merman couldn't breathe as he thrashed around. Deceit just laughed.

"Hey snake-face!"

The Naga looked up just in time for a flowerpot to smash into the side of his head. Deceit hissed and let go of Logan, leaving him gasping on the ground. Deceit slipped back into the water and dissapeared.

Virgil ran out right after. His feathers were fluffed up and his eyes glared, searching for the Naga.

"Where is he!?" Virgil growled.

Patton ran out and gasped, "Logan!"

Patton picked Logan up and eased him into the water.

"Thank you Patt." Logan sighed, "my bracelet is somewhere in the bush."

Patton nodded, "Okay, I'll look for it."

Meanwhile, Roman was trying to calm Virgil down.

"That slimy son of a bitch!" Virgil panted, pacing the length of the mer-pool.

"Virgil," Roman stopped the Garuda's pacing by placing his hands on his shoulders, "there's nothing we can do right now."

Virgil looked out at the water, "But-"

"No." Roman said firmly, squeezing Virgil's shoulders, "you're not going after him."

Virgil looked back at Roman, noticing the worry on his face. The Garuda sighed, hanging his head slightly as Roman hugged him. Roman petted Virgil's wings, feeling him relax even more as his feathers smoothed out.

There was a flash of blue light and Patton helped Logan climb out of the water.

"Are you okay Lo?" Patton asked.

Logan nodded, "I'm okay, though I'm a bit confused as of why Deceit would choose to attack me."

It's cause of me."

Everyone looked at Virgil.

"Its my fault." Virgil continued, "Deceit said he wanted to make me suffer. I didn't think he would do this."

Virgil started backing away, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't be here."

Virgil lifted his wings, but was stopped by Roman grabbing his hand.

"No." He said, "don't dissapear on us again."

"I'll only cause more trouble." Virgil said, trying to tug is arm back.

"But it's safer to stay together." Roman argued, keeping his grip on Virgil's arm.

"Kiddo," Patton started, "We can help. Please stay a little longer?"

"He'll come back." Virgil whispered, "if one of you gets killed because if him- because of me-"

"Virgil, we'll look out for each other." Logan said,  "Deceit wont be able to touch us."

Virgil smiled, "you're all idiots."

"Does that mean you'll stay?" Roman asked.

Virgil shook his head, still smiling, "yes! Yes I'll stay."

Roman smiled brightly and hugged the Garuda, spinning him around. Virgil laughed and wrapped his arms around Roman's shoulders. Maybe they'd be okay.