5

(Ok before I forget AGAIN (I meant to say this in the last 2 chapters... I have another new book out called Broken Masks. It's a superhero AU so if ya like that please go check it out!)

~~~

T.W.: blood

Virgil felt warm. Not burning warm, warm like sunlight on a spring day. He sighed. Someone ran their hand over his wing.

"Are you awake kiddo?"

"Patton, he'll wake up when he does, there's nothing we can do for him right now except wait."

"I know Logan, but it's hard. He was in so much pain..." Patton trailed off.

Logan sighed, "Why don't you go check on Roman?"

Patton nodded, "okay, tell me if anything changes."

"Okay." Logan said.

Patton pet Virgil's wings one last time before leaving to check on Roman. Logan wondered why the human insisted on staying, but as long as he wasn't trying to kill them, he tolerated it. The merman watched the slow rise and fall of Virgil's back, the small twitches of his wings.

"How is he?" Roman asked, walking into the living room.

"Not much change." Logan informed the human, "Nothing other than his breathing evening out."

"Well that's good right?" Roman asked, making his way to Virgil's side.

"Yes, but there's no indication of when he's going to wake up." Logan sighed.

Roman ran his fingers through Virgil's hair, "he will wake up, right?"

Logan stayed silent for a moment, "I... don't know."

Roman sighed. He felt like it was his fault. Roman did shoot him after all. If he didn't, they wouldn't be in this mess.

Virgil groaned, his wings twitching violently.

"Virgil?!" Roman yelled, shaking his shoulder lightly.

Virgil screamed and shot up, flapping his wings frantically.

"I heard screaming what- VIRGIL!" Patton yelled, running over and hugging the Garuda.

"Ow! Patton!" Virgil said, wincing at the sudden movements.

"Sorry kiddo!" Patton said, "it's just- it's been a week..."

Virgil froze, "A week?"

Patton nodded and bit his lip, "y-you're probably hungry, I'll- I'll get you some food."

There was a bit of a silence.

"So, Virgil, what happened?" Logan asked.

"Deceit." The Garuda said, pullinghis knees to his chest and tucking in his wings, "h-he said my family is dead, and that the war is over. Then he bit me and I-I don't remember anything after that except- except p-pain."

"I'm so sorry Virge." Roman said quietly.

"It-its fine." Virgil rubbed his eyes, "I'm fine."

"Are you still in any pain?" Logan asked.

"I-I'm a little sore." Virgil shrugged, "and hungry."

"Well I can fix one of those kiddo." Patton said, coming out of the kitchen with some jam and toast.