19

The fawn, the merman, the Garuda, and the human walked down the street.

Patton giggled. It sounded like the set up for a cheesy joke. The four of them were making their way back from the park. Logan went to learn about land plants, Patton went to pet and play with a bunch of dogs, and Roman and Virgil went to have a picnic together.

A small yellow dog barked at Patton, breaking him out of his thoughts. Patton gasped with shining eyes and knelt down to pet the pup, the others walking on without him.

"Hey there little guy." Patton giggled, scratching the puppies ears.

Patton noticed the dog didn't have any tags. The puppy licked Patton's hand and ran into a nearby alleyway. Patton frowned and stood up, turning to walk away. The puppy barked again, getting Patton's attention. The dog turned around and barked another time.

"Are you trying to tell me something?" Patton asked, following the dog further into the alley.

The pup went around a dumpster. Patton followed and gasped. A man was laying half hidden behind the large, metal bin. The man wore no shirt and his skin was black, blue and red. The dog whimpered and nudged the man's hand, but the man didn't move. Patton knelt down and gently turned the man to look at his face.

He screamed.

"Patton!" Logan yelled, running around the corner, soon followed by Roman and Virgil.

"Oh Zeus." Roman murmered.

"Snake-face!" Virgil growled, "what's he doing here!"

"He's hurt..." Patton whispered, "we gotta help him."

"Help him!?" Virgil yelled, "he almost killed Roman and I!"

"Me and Roman." Logan corrected, "and although Virgil makes a good point, he wasn't always like this."

Virgil paused, "What?!"

"It is not my story to tell." Logan whispered.

Deceit let out a small, broken whimper as Patton picked him up, his snake-like tail dragging on the ground.

"He helped me." Patton said simply, "I'm returning the favor. That's all."

Roman sighed, "He can stay until he's able to leave, but no longer."

"What!?" Virgil yelled, "You're on board with rescuing an evil snake!?"

"Naga's are protectors, not evil." Logan said, "Deceit was tasked with protecting the forest, which makes it all the more unusual for him to be in a human city."

Virgil growled, "Fine. But how are we going to get him back without people noticing he's half-freaking-snake."

"There are back alleyways that lead to my house," Roman suggested, "they're shady, we've got a freaking deity on our side."

Roman smirked and nudged Virgil, who groaned.

"Fine, whatever." Virgil whined.

Patton smiled, "Thanks kiddo."

"Don't mention it Popstar." Virgil snapped and finger gunned.

Patton gasped, "You gave me a dad-themed nickname!"

Deceit whined again and the little yellow dog did too.

"Come on, the sooner we get him home, the sooner he can leave." Roman spat.

Virgil rolled his eyes, but followed the others back to Roman's house. This was going to be fun.