25

T.W.: abuse, blood, homophobia/homophobic slurs

"Ro?" Virgil asked quietly, opening the door.

Roman was pacing quickly across their room, seemingly lost in thought. Virgil walked fully into the room, closing the door behind him.

"Ro? Are you okay?" Virgil asked again.

Roman took a shaky breath and shook his head. Virgil immediately pulled him into a hug, wrapping his wings around his boyfriend.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" Virgil whispered, leading Roman to the bed.

Roman sighed and layed down next to Virgil, "I don't know."

Virgil brushed a strand of hair out of Roman's eyes, "I'll be here if you want to talk."

Roman nodded, "I didn't excactly have  the... best childhood."

~~flashback ~~

"STUPID BOY!" His mother yelled, grabbing Roman's arm with a brusing grip, "I TOLD you not to join the musical!"

Tears trailed down Roman's cheeks as he tried to get away.

"I'm sorry!" The ten year old cried, "I'll quit! Just please let go!"

His mother tossed him to the floor, "You better."

Roman curled up on the floor, sobbing into his arms. Then his phone started ringing. His mother snatched it from the counter.

"Boyfriend?" His mother turned her eyes to the sobbing boy, "You're a fag!? I did not raise my son this way! Is this because your father died!? Are you trying to make everything harder on me!?"

His mother gave a fake cry, "oh, why did you decide to be a fag!"

Roman covered his ears. When he didn't reply his mother got mad. The boy felt the blows all over his body. Roman didn't know how long it lasted, but when it stopped it was dark out and he was bleeding a lot.

He heard his mother scoff and stomp back to her room, but not after throwing Roman's phone at his head.

Roman fumbled pick up his phone, fingers shaking, and dialed his brother.

"Roman?"

The ten year old sniffed, "T-thomas? C-can you come p-pick me up?"

"Why? What happened?" Thomas said, his concern clear over the phone.

"S-she found out I was i-in the musical and that I h-have a boyfriend." Roman whimpered, "Thomas? I feel dizzy."

Thomas immediately responded, "I'll be over as soon as I can, just hold on okay?"

Roman nodded and winced, "o-okay."

Roman waited and waited. His head steadily got fuzzier and soon his vision went dark.

~~Present day ~~

"That wasn't the first or last time it happened." Roman whispered, "I woke up in Thomas' house and my mother came. The police were called and there was a court trial. Thomas got custody, he was twenty at the time. Things got better after that."

Virgil hugged Roman tightly, "I'm so sorry."

"Its okay," Roman said, "I'm okay now."

"Still-" Virgil was cut off by Roman.

"No, I mean it." Roman sighed softly, "it was in the past and I've already worked through it. I'm okay now."

Virgil gave him a small smile, "okay. I love you."

Roman smiled back and buried his face in Virgil's neck, "I love you too."