20

Deceit woke up with a small groan. He froze. This was a human room. Deceit started to shake. Images flashed through his head. Pain. Scales. Blood. Laughter.

Humans.

Deceit touched the side of his face without scales. He could feel the little scars where his scales once grew. The Naga quickly went to feel the other side of his face, sighing in relief when he felt cool scales under his fingers.

He took a quick glance around the room, spotting a window. Deceit jumped toward it, but ended up falling to the ground with a loud thump. He whined in pain.

"Kiddo?" Someone knocked on the door, "Are you okay?"

Deceit jumped and slid under the bed. He coiled up and buried himself in his tail just as the door opened. Deceit saw... hooves?

"Deceit?" The person called again, "it's me, Patton. Do you remember me?"

The fawn? Deceit curled up tighter. It was a trick.

Patton knelt down and looked under the bed. He gave the petrified Naga a smile.

"Hey there kiddo," Patton said softly, "it's okay to come out."

Deceit hissed, baring his fangs.  He sank further into the coils of his snake-like tail.

Patton sighed, "it's okay Deceit, there's nothing to be scared of-"

"This is a humans house!" The Naga yelled quietly, "there are many things to be afraid of! Like humans for example!"

Patton frowned, "I know that some humans hurt you, but they're not all like that. The humans I met are all really nice."

Deceit shifted, his scales shimmering slightly in the low light. Patton held out his hand. Deceit watched warily, but didn't take the offer.

"How do you know they aren't just lying to you?" Deceit argued.

"Because I trust them." Patton said, "you used to trust me too, a long time ago."

"Humans only bring trouble." Deceit whispered.

"A human convinced Virgil to save you." Patton said with a small smile.

Deceit looked up at the fawn, who held out his hand again. This time, Deceit took it.